Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff oil?

Tight fart

It's a de dion (ie the sierra diff) presumably. Have you got a limited slip diff or not? If so then is it AP, Quaife torsen or the plate type? Reason for asking that if you have a plate type slipper then you need different oil.

If it's 14 years old then unlikely to be AP or Quaife so fair bet it's either not limited slip or if it is then it's likely to be the plate type.

If it's not a slipper then any old EP90 will do from Halfords or similar. If it's a plate type slipper then you need an EP90 that's got the right additives for a limited slip diff I guess that's not so easy to get from Halfords. I always use Redline 75W90 gearoil but thats not so easy to get hold of without going somewhere like SPC, Demon Tweeks or similar.

Hi all bit of thread hijacking

All these postings on oil for the diff tends to worry me. Mine is a Sierra LSD diff when the car was built in 1988 Caterham told me to use EP90 or was it EP 80 I forget whatever its still in the diff.

So was this bad advice at that time or am I constantly miss-reading all the recent postings. Seems to still work fine and so far still has no leaks.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Don't worry about the aparent "dodgyness" of mobile numbers. Besides I doubt anyone using this BBS would reccommend getting supplies from a dodgy company.......I know one of the owners well enough to know that you WON'T get pissed about......I'm also confident they'll beat DT on price.

You may have trouble getting hold of them now, 'cos I think they are just about to leave for the Barbados Rally Carnival, in which they'll be competing.......

Hi All

Anyone have an opinion on highjacking post 🤔

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Bilbo,

I think the telling comment in your post was :

Seems to still work fine and so far still has no leaks.

From that I concluded that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it...." *thumbup*

I really wouldn't worry about the oil that's in the diff if it's a bog standard item, a) because the oil you're using is probably perfectly fine and b) because if it does go *BANG* then just throw it away and fit another one. They're not exacly expensive.

The main reasons people seem to change the oil in their diff and gearboxes are a) because the opportunity presents itself, i.e. the gearbox / diff are out of the car and so need to be refilled anyway, or b) they have a decent LSD which needs a better oil than the standard stuff.

Really, I wouldn't worry about what's in there.

Hi Nick

Well I do agree with you I was just womdering if its actually working as well as it could.

I not one of thoese that thinks oil changes in diff are a good idea. Well it might have a little metal in the oil bound to really. Most diffs and boxes do not have drain pluggs anyway. However, it is near 15 years old *eek*. I did plan to do lots to the car this year but works left very little free time. ☹️

Oh I should have posted it was Chelspeed

If it's a plate type slipper then you need an EP90 that's got the right additives for a limited slip diff I guess that's not so easy to get from Halfords. I always use Redline 75W90 gearoil but thats not so easy to get hold of without going somewhere like SPC, Demon Tweeks or similar.

That started me thinking and a few in the past.