Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Long Brake Pedal

Alex Birtwisle

Last week I changed my front pads for some Green Stuff ones. I bedded them in over about 300 miles, then did the BAT track day at Anglesey. The rear brakes seemed to do a lot of the work for the first session (I guess the fronts were still not bedded in properly) but as the day went on the fronts worked harder and harder.

On driving back to Cambridge from Cheshire I noticed that there is a lot more travel in the brake peddle than there was (prior to the Green Stuff's going in) when you brake hard from speed. Is this a property of the Green Stuff pads? Have I boiled/over heated the brake fluid on the trackday? Should I shut up and stop worrying?

Cheers

Alex

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue and Black

Alex

could be that you need to bleed to remove some boiled fluid, not much needed as it's only the stuff near the calipers, it's also possible that you've glazed the discs/ pads, very easy to do with new pads that might not have been bedded in properly. Get some emery paper and rough up the surfaces of both discs and pads.

Mark

Quick update for those who may be interested...

Deglazed the pads and disks with fine emery paper on Monday and replaced the brake fluid. The brakes feel a lot sharper now but there is still a little more travel in the peddle than before ..... I guess you could say that the brakes are more progressive than before, less on/off.

At least I can lock my fronts before the rears now which is something I couldn't do before *thumbup*

Alex

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue and Black