Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track Wheels / Tyres- Help Please

darren f

Thinking about some 13” track wheels and tyres for my first Seven track day (hopefully Oulton Park in July).

Searching the archives for track tyres, popular opinion is that Yokohama A032Rs are good but Avon ACB10s are better. However some postings have mentioned that the suspension needs setting up for ACB10s- involving different De-Dion ears or shims etc? What exactly does this involve- I assume it’s a complete flat-floor set-up jobbie?

It has been said that this is not absolutely necessary but I’d be interested in knowing where the biggest compromise would be i.e. set-up for ACBs with compromised road handling (tramlining) or not set-up for ACBs and not getting the full performance from them on track. Basically are ACBs worth all the hassle?

Also, any opinions on the best wheel width and tyre combination? I’ve seen various wheel widths mentioned (6”, 6.5”, 7” up to 8.5” rears) and I assume this will have some effect on the grip / traction available. Having to learn the intricacies of RWD track driving from the beginning, I’m looking for something that’s will slide about at the limit, but to do it progressively rather than spit me into the kitty litter at every opportunity. 😳 😳 😳 😳

Thanks for any help you can offer (forgive me- so many questions due to so little knowledge!!) *confused*

darren f

The Building of R300SEV is Here

Steve

I was under the impression that CR500s are too soft for track work- so I'd rather keep them for road work and / or wet track use.

Also having used some of the 'semi-slick' A032Rs on my Impreza previously, they seemed more suited to track use- the theory is that the large tread blocks on such tyres move about a lot less than smaller blocks (on road tyres) and the difference in grip and hence confidence in the car was quite amazing.

darren f

The Building of R300SEV is Here

Edited by - darren f on 14 Apr 2003 12:06:07

Darren

What spec is the car? if it's the R300 with circa 160BHP consider 6" with 185's on the front and 205's on 7" on the rears, or 6" alround with 185's.

32R's are a nice tyre, very predictable and grippy, go for Soft rather than Supersoft which wear quickly although I used to run my Supersport with Soft on the rear and Supersoft on the front which worked for me.

Only problem with 32's is they're not very good if there is standing water with a tendency to aquaplane but htey're fine on a damp/ dry track.

If you want a tyre that will also work in standing water then try the Yoko 21's in 185 alround, they are not quite as grippy as the 32's but will deal with the water.

There's a new Yoko 046? I havn't tried them but Angus said they worked very well on a wet Silverstone track and were equally good in the dry on the road

CR500's are pretty good but more expensive and do tend to overheat on a dry track (I believe Avon even recommend running the fronts backwards to reduce wear).

Personally I found ACB10's horrible with a huge tendency to tramline and lock up under braking, also it saves changing the ears and front camber to suit as they require less camber to work well and to avoid excessive wear on the inside edges.

Mark