Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Metric chassis k series engine removal

2cv7

Hi

I need to remove my engine to replace the bending clutch arm, and wondered if anyone has any experience of removing a k series engine from a metric chassis. I have taken it out a few times before with the gearbox attached but never on its own. Dry sump with bell tower.

Cheers in advance.

Elliott

Not sure how much difference there is with metric or imperial. Took mine out the other week. 

made up a engine lifting cradle which made life easier. 

nothing much to it, disconnect usual ancillaries. Drain oil and coolant.

battery, wiring loom, throttle and clutch cable, exhaust, starter, alternator etc… 

alternator bracketry and alternator was probably tightest thing to get out.

also took my oil cooler out completely to give me more room. 

other than that, pretty stress free! 

I had a trolley jack under the front of the gearbox. 

IMG_6043.jpeg.2aa111e435c812897404123176f269cf.jpeg

IMG_6044.jpeg.a599f90645894a1e5705e3620a8ac9fa.jpeg

IMG_6017.jpeg.72e6bcbbd7372b5d68f92422f1aa1b39.jpeg

IMG_6019.jpeg.d77e79287d62b0453fb45cbf8789b685.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply and photos.  The problem is the top tubes are very close to the top of the engine and I think that I would not be able to get enough space to get it off of the input shaft.

I was just wondering if anyone had any 1st hand experience.  I’m guessing I’ll have to bite the bullet and take the whole lot out which is a faff.

IMG_2590.jpeg

I’ve done this on my previous car, an 07 K with a metric chassis. I left the gearbox in and split them. There is enough room to jiggle it off the input shaft and lift it fee on its own. Cover the front chassis tubes with old rubber hoses to avoid scratches.
The bellhousing will need support underneath at that point, but I just rested it on a tool box. 

I didn’t have enough height above to lift both gearbox and engine out in one as I’ve a sectional garage door which uses roof space. However, I’d recommend this way as you’re lifting half the weight and it’s fine. An extra pair of hands was useful but it didn’t even need a load leveller on the engine lifter. 

22daz