Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Should I reroute the Wet/Dry Dum Submarine?

prisoner7

OK…this is a rant.

I’m building a LHD 420S SV with the dry sump AND heater options.

I’m fast approaching the end of the build and am watching/reading various posts for PBC and IVA hints, tricks and suggestions. And while the Colonies do not have the IVA, we have our own bureaucrats, and a bureaucrat is a bureaucrat.

On page 79 of the Assembly Guide (v 2.3…and I use the term ‘guide’ rather loosely) it clearly shows the Wet/Dry sump sub-assembly - Temperature Sensor being routed UNDERNEATH what appears to be an unused platform on the rear of the engine. The rest of the coolant plumbing flows from here.

Imagine my surprise when I watch simonbennett3’s “Corrective Work” video:

Caterham 420R - Corrective Work

Jump to the 3:23 minute mark, you can see CAT during the PBC routes the Wet/Dry sump sub assembly OVER THE TOP, using p-clips to mount the j-hose to the platform at the back of the engine.

FWIW - in the owners handbook on page 35, you can see hoses routed this way for the 620.

Simon’s 420 build is for a R, and my car is the S…and perhaps this is why the rerouting.

The downside for me to do this is a great deal of disassembly, draining of coolant, hopefully no draining of oil, possibly buying new hoses and and and…a day or two of aggravation.

The upside is better routing of hoses, more space for when I have to bleed the clutch and generally a cleaner ‘look’ to the engine.

So…I’m very curious…what does the collective wisdom of the CAT-Masters say?

I look forward to reading your wisdom.