Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How far do I go with the bodywork without compromising originality and value on a historic vehicle?

Pantha

We are lucky enough to own a Caterham Seven 1600GT that has been in the family since 1984 (First registered in 1982).  The car has been well looked after and largely remains original, but is displaying evidence of its age.

Despite the car being restored around a decade ago I have noticed small rust deposits in the joins of the tubular frame.  Before things get worse I think it is time the car was fully inspected (By those I believe built the chassis (Arch)) and other blemishes attended.  The work that I think is required (Apologies for my terminology!):

• Full chassis assessment and resulting work
  • Stone chip 'Stars' removed from fiberglass clam-shell mudguards
  • Fiberglass pancake filter induction scoop restoration
  • Aluminium boot panel 'Star' removal
  • Likely a full Respray

Arch have said:

'We also don’t do any kind of blemish removal we can replace the skins and as for the chassis we can replace rotten tubes but if you wanted to go the whole hog or a complete shot blast, re powder coat and re-panel of your car that would be £3250 + VAT and that would be like having a new car with all the panels in side and out replaced.'

So, should I retain originality, 'warts 'n' all'?  Or should I get the car refurbished using the company that built the chassis in the first instance?  What effect will re-panelling have on the value?

(picture attached) Any advice is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Pantha

IMG_0534.jpeg

I would have no problem with a car returned to Arch for a chassis refurb with new ally skins. We are lucky the OEM supplier is still around to do it! 

Perhaps keep the fibreglass as it is so it retains some patina but get the chassis (the bit that can rust) refurbished.

My other interest is 911s and while I’d love to own an air cooled, lots need extensive bodywork at similar age to your seven. It doesn’t seem to affect their desirability and value. Also, I dont think you’d get much change out of £15K for major bodywork repairs on a 911. Ditto the same for any collectable vehicle. It’ll be interesting to see how the current plethora of electronics laiden supercars will fare aged 40! 

Agree with the above the structural integrity of the chassis is important and often only fully accessible for repair by removing old panels, if Arch do the work it will be done correctly using the correct tooling and methods, you could always ask if they could take photos during the process for you in order to show provenance...

• Like 1

Just a thought.  There is a huge difference between small rust deposits and major chassis issues.  I think you need to check out how bad the problem is.

My suspicion would be that some cleaning and por-15'ing will sort out the problems and major chassis works will not be needed.  Also for the stone chips in the fibreglass, I'd leave them as patina and not seek to sort out or repaint,

Just a thought!