Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Essex (south) Blat recommendations

Colin_T

Went out for a drive out last weekend, with a round loop starting at A127/A130, to south woodham and out through the burnham bends, southminster, tillingham with a run up to bradwell power station. 
Returned through Mayland, bicknacre and alongside the hanningfield reservoir - stopped for Sunday lunch at the old windmill (very pleasant) before heading back towards the A127/A130 and home. 

any more good driving routes people care to share for south Essex? 

or are the real gems worth going out that bit further to north Essex > Sudbury / Braintree / Saffron Walden kind of way ??? 

suggestions please 

(I’m based A13, 15 mins east of m25) 

thanks. 

Hi Colin,I think you’ve already found one of the best little gems our area has to offer,did you go into the marina at Bradwell?there’s a nice tea/coffee/bacon type hut there ,get a lot of bikes in there on a Sunday weather permitting,another little run out I often use is to finchingfield via Chelmsford ,ford end/ great dunmow, finchingfield,sibble heddingham,halsted,Braintree,white notley,Hatfield peveral,Danbury,bicknacre back home to Basildon,.Unfortunately there’s just too much traffic in our neck of the woods,but we are fortunate enough to have brands hatch on our doorstep 

• Thanks 1

Getting there I can avoid major roads and take a nice route there too. There’s some great roads dunmow/thaxted way.

It’s a little over 2 hours this route from my home to the finish at wendons ambo.

Then I can decide on the way home… brave the m11/m25 if just want to get back indoors… 
Or…. I could go across to Braintree/great notley> Chelmsford > A130 to home. Good 3 1/2 loop I’d say. Or indeed retrace my steps making it 4hours or more. 

I’ve also always wanted to stop in at the duxford aerodrome… so could be the scenic route there for a day out too! 

IMG_5057.thumb.png.691f15829ad938d4384283c280574181.png