Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 k air inlet

Colin_T

Hi. 
I have an R500 k with the carbon airbox and what looks like Sputnik on the end of it, but no pipes or anything coming off of it, or anywhere for them to go to.

I can easily source and make some ducting pipes up, but I need something for them to attach to.

I assume the R500s had some kind of air scoop which drew in cold air from the front of the car / under the rad ? 

anyone have one available? 

or even any information or pictures of such set up would be helpful. 

thanks ! 

• Leadership Team

My SLR has the full carbon intake system, or it did have! All you actually need are the pipes, I assume though you already have a conical filter behind the lunar command module?

Stu.

This is the system installed:

IMG_0072.jpeg

IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0074.jpeg

• Leadership Team

I now have the inlet tubing fastened to the lower chassis cross rail with cable ties and it works great, more clearance and no impact issues, I’ve also cut a large hole in the underside of the nose cone and fitted some black mesh to prevent anything big going in. In reality you don’t need the intake box just the hose. I seem to recall there was an issue years ago with someone’s R500 ingesting something nasty like cement, the standard fitment is extremely low!

IMG_0070.jpeg

IMG_0075.jpeg

IMG_0071.jpeg

• Like 1

• Leadership Team

I also fitted an undertray so the pipes are cable tied slightly further forward of where they would have been originally, basically between the radiator and the front lower rail, hence the reason for needing the hole in the nosecone. The mesh intake looks quite tidy though *beer*

• Leadership Team

There's nothing that actually moves so it's hard to see why a more budget hose wouldn't work fine, I suspect the pukka stuff is specified for fire retardancy etc in race applications. Have you checked what Demon Tweeks have as a compromise?