Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Knocking noise from rear

Terry K

Hi, I have recently purchased a 2019 360S, 8k miles, which has standard suspension at the rear, i.e. no Watts Linkage. I am experiencing a knocking noise coming from somewhere at the rear of my car when driving over bumpy roads. I have checked under the rear to look for witness marks and cannot see anywhere that could be causing the noise. I have secured the brake cables as best I can and secured the wooden boot floor, which I thought could be jumping up when hitting bumps, but I am still getting a knock on the most severe bumps or dips in the road. I have had a few Caterhams' over the years and the suspension on this model does seem a lot softer than I am used to. Has anyone experienced similar issues? Thanks

Terry K

56 minutes ago, Chris SSR400 said:

Worth chick the nylon washers in the centre of the A frame below the fuel tank. They don’t last too long. 

My 2022 factory built 360S had the same problem and I found that these washers were missing. After fitting them the noise went away. 

If the car has been frequently cornered enthusiastically, besides the washers not being in place (due to not being fitted, or they just disintegrated and fell off), the centre bush rubber could also have separated from the metal housing, giving no sideways resistance to movement, other than the A-arm and deDion tube banging together after moving a couple of mm either way.

Just my thoughts reading this as I had a similar noise from my car a few years ago and on the advise of another club member checked the security off the fuel tank by trying to lift it of the rear most chassis rails where it sits.Sure enough there was some movement which was easily fixed by tightening the nut on the securing rods either side of the fuel tank and I’ve had no issues since.May be of some help?

Edited by Ralph45
Spelling

Hi All, thank you for your feedback. Definitely not the fuel tank moving or broken linkage on the ant roll bar but the A frame mounting to the De-dion tube could be suspect. Looking at it, the previous owner who built the car, has fitted black, cut round, plastic shim in the positions where the nylon shim washers should be. Presumably he had trouble getting the supplied washers in and instead decided to make his own. One of the shim pieces can be moved by my finger and so is not therefore under compression but not sure if it should be as the joint has to be able to pivot slightly. Presumably the correct washers should be fitted and if so would these be the nylon racing washer shim with I/d 17.5 mm fro Caterham parts? Thanks Terry

1 hour ago, Terry K said:

Hi All, thank you for your feedback. Definitely not the fuel tank moving or broken linkage on the ant roll bar but the A frame mounting to the De-dion tube could be suspect. Looking at it, the previous owner who built the car, has fitted black, cut round, plastic shim in the positions where the nylon shim washers should be. Presumably he had trouble getting the supplied washers in and instead decided to make his own. One of the shim pieces can be moved by my finger and so is not therefore under compression but not sure if it should be as the joint has to be able to pivot slightly. Presumably the correct washers should be fitted and if so would these be the nylon racing washer shim with I/d 17.5 mm fro Caterham parts? Thanks Terry

If it is a black nylon washer with a flat cut on it it could be a PowerFlex bush in there. Their kit had a washer with a larger diameter than Caterham provided, so depending on the weld size on the deDion tube, some material has to be cut off the washer for it to fit flush. As they get worn out they start to look tatty until they break and fall off. If it is the PowerFlex bush, it provides little lateral resistance, so the washers have to be a tight fit. It also can become dry and noisy or wear if not covered with the special silicone lubricant. The central stainless steel core of those bushes can be removed with finger pressure.

Hi Terry,

just a thought, after a rebuild I had a tapping noise with mine when going over bumps etc - took ages to diagnose as I thought it was suspension / bushes etc - but it was the fuel line from the tank, sometimes the bumps were just enough to cause it to hit the inside of the transmission tunnel. Additional P clip sorted it.

Regards Simon.

Have you got ventilated front disc.  If you have then you will have Delphi rear pads, these rattle in the new Caterham branded rear caliper, supplied since 2018 (ish).  It didn’t happen with the refurbished Ford originals.  You can tell if this is your problem, the noise will go away under braking.

Edited by ChrisC