Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Problem with Protech Shocks contacting De Dion tube - just add spacers?

JP

(1999 Imperial K-Series)

Rebuilding the rear end this weekend and I've hit a possible snag, unless I've fitted something incorrectly.  The lower barrel of the Protechs seems wider than the original Bilsteins with the result that the bottom of the shock contacts the forward edge of the De Dion tube.  It perhaps doesn't help that my DD tube has the upper pair of shock mounts and it is the proud parts of the mounting boss that contacts the shock.  For now I've added an extra spacer washer, but I think it's going to need another and even then the clearance will be minimal - without the car going over bumps.

Have I missed something?  Do I just add an extra spacer washer?  Once it's back on the road do I take a gentle trip to Arch to get them grind off the part of the upper mounting point that stands proud?

I've got rose jointed shocks - maybe Protech could supply some different spacer collars - a wider one to go between the shock and the De Dion with a corresponding narrower one on the other side?  Here are some pics...

20230417_204050a1.thumb.jpg.3caa457f8e5bb9c582b7669ec21e0231.jpg 20230417_204221a1.thumb.jpg.92df9d69140239150342d745feefbdc3.jpg

That dedion tube looks a bit rusty and the old type some of which failed - the shock mount peels out of the tube. I changed mine for the later type with thicker walled tube and extra buttresses. There is an old post in the archives detailing the issue. As a minimum give the shock mounts a good inspection for cracks.

The problem with the shocks can also happen when you fit adjustable platforms onto the Bilsteins and just needs an additional extra big washer.

Thanks #5.  The DD has been blasted and thoroughly checked over by Arch before deciding to re-powdercoat and re-use.  Mine seems to be in the transition period where they had big buttresses.

Thanks Guy.  My tube has both sets of mounts - the upper ones through the tube and the lower underslung ones.  I've used the under-tube mounts as that is where my original dampers were fitted.  I'll also give protech a call shortly...

OK, so am I right to assume that there is enough travel in the adjustable platforms to get back down to a low ride height if I just use the higher mount instead?  That could be the easiest solution...