Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing KV6 TBs from a VHPD head

Nick Bassett

• Area Representative

Hi folks,

Anybody got any tips for removing the KV6 TBs/inlet manifold from a VHPD head?

The issue is there is a horizontal bar that sits on top the inlet manifold holding the IACV and the 4 recessed cap head bolts (holding this bar to the inlet) sit directly below a lip on the top of the cam carrier, so it seems impossible to access these cap heads, unless a cut down allen key is the answer? I'm concerned that using an allen key could damage them, making them even harder to remove!

The annoying thing is, if recesses were cut into the side of the lip attached to the cam carrier, they could be made easily accessible from the top down.

Pic attached, with two of the cap heads circled in blue (lifted from DVA website - thanks Dave!)

VHPD.jpg.1689b36a41effff3389e6a9ad8e99144.jpg

• Leadership Team

I used to use a cut down hex key when I had KV6 bodies on my previous car. The pipe you're trying to remove is the air transfer pipe connecting the IACV to all four inlets.

The photo you've linked to is most likely my current car, although Dave and the original owner had converted it to Jenveys by the time I bought it. Nothing wrong with KV6 TBs though.

Stu.

• Area Representative

Thanks Stu - I did wonder if the cut down allen key is the route to this.

Another concern I have is, could I get enough purchase on these bolts using just an allen key? I guess being an alloy pipe, the bolts won't be too tight? Famous last words...!!

• Leadership Team

Nick, as Tom is touching on, is there any reason why you're trying to dissemble them on the engine rather than just undoing the (8?) bolts that anchor the bodies to the head and removing the complete assembly as one?

Hi Nick, 

I can confirm I don't need to remove the IACV rail to get my KV6 manifold off. It's tight & takes some time, but I've only ever undone the nuts pictured below with an open ended spanner, and the other nuts and bolts with normal sockets or hex bit sockets.

I hope this helps,

cheers Tom

1C21AA77-4BB9-4EF6-B3EE-1D0538E4476B.thumb.jpeg.bacef80493c417331c756c4fabb8a20c.jpeg 90A29183-EBA6-4AB3-A4CE-497A6A3E1286.thumb.jpeg.e113026084edc7fd5c1e76505b99d881.jpeg

• Area Representative

Progress update: after a bit of head scratching yesterday, I got my trusty Dremmel tool out and started gently grinding away the cam ladder shelf that was preventing access to the IACV tube bolts and it worked! Now have much better access to these and have managed to undo 3 of the 4! The last one is putting up a fight as it's rounded slightly, but I'm going to invest in some long reach hex bits for my ratchet and hoping that will do the trick in getting the little blighter out! It's currently being soaked in a cocktail of WD40 and Plus Gas...

Any other thoughts on how to get this final one out gratefully received! 

Pic of my fettling efforts below:

Camladdermachined_Nov22.thumb.jpg.5ed5ec5eea6fb1a924a19a8fbc995551.jpg