Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car will not start after running- Ford 1600 flow with twin webers

Nico506

• Area Representative

Recently fitted a new distributor - converted from Bosch - to Lucas 23d unit with electronic ignition , car ran fine during setting timing session until switched off , now no spark, voltage is to coil ( which is now un-ballasted) , no spark to plug on block test, cranks over ok, have checked and checked , wiring all seems connected ok - what has gone wrong ?

plus the oil pressure gauge flicks to high reading when switch on ignition mode - this has never happened before ( electronic oil sender switch fitted) - could this be the earth fault?

All ignition components new 

Checked timing again and noticed that on TDC No 1 valves closed  and rotor pointing to 1& 2 inlet - is that correct ?

Being a new member and first time owner of Caterhams - have been making contact with anyone and no reply so far  - must be something simple - bad earth, loose wire under dash perhaps

( checked this even though not worked under dash as part of operation) 

I am based in Leicestershire - anyone close by who can have a look over and spot anything missing, incorrect as im going potty and missing this fine weather so far.

Thanks in advance for any info help or experiences and solutions appreciated  

Welcome.

Do you have a multimeter and would you like a factory wiring diagram?

Does that oil pressure sender have one or two terminals?

I agree that it sounds as if something has become detached. But IIUC it could also be a problem with the electronic ignition unit. What is it and do the instructions include anything about fault tracing?

These can be tricky without some HT testing gear. 

Jonathan

• Area Representative

Update car now starts and it was the Powerspark module that had failed , and now have a loose wire to the tachometer  which cannot be connected to minus side of coil 

anyone had any experience of this issue and understand an inline resistor has to be fitted and then wire fro tachometer (white /black ) cane be connected to plus side coil -is this correct ?

im hoping the powerspark unit is robust , but unit is very simple  etc 

thanks all 

• Area Representative

Hi Jonathan 

i too couldn't find a wiring diagram from power spark regarding the tach , but have emailed them - I've taken pictures of the wiring on back of tach and can send these over if that helps , plus I've emailed power spark regarding this and yet to receive a reply 

thanks 

• Area Representative

all sorted and powerspark confirmed that their advise not to fit the white/black wire from the tacho to the negative side of the coil was a typo and it should have read , yes this can be fitted on negative side of the coil. So far all running well and tacho needle does not bounce around at all.