Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crossflow high pressure pump end plate leak

Yellowperil98

Hi....I have a weep of oil from a "new" high pressure pump (from Redline) fitted about 12 months/2000 miles ago. It is the end plate of the pump where it is leaking,  secured by 3 x 10mm bolts (they are all tight). Anyone suffered similar...is it simply a gasket replacement likely needed or more sinister? It drips down the filter then of course is blown back under the whole drivers side of the car underway. Thanks in advance.

There is not a gasket - there is an O ring.  As an aside I think the only difference between a high pressure pump and a standard one is a stronger spring on the relief valve.  I would prefer a high capacity/high pressure pump (has a deeper rotor as well as stronger spring)

I don't know which exact pump you have, but if you take the end plate off, thoroughly degrease and then use an anaerobic sealant in addition to the 'O' ring (if fitted) you should be in business. I don't recommend using a silicone sealant because you might just be unlucky enough for a bit to break off and get into the oilways, although the filter should catch it.

There are plenty of such sealants available. I use Loctite 510.

Many thanks Roger, sadly I am not a capable mechanic (yet) at any level so I have taken fright and am fitting a new High Pressure pump complete (to be accurate someone who knows what they are doing will fit it for me). On that subject Wilcox Competition Engines have been very helpful and efficient in supplying parts....

I am taking the old girl (and A7 XFO :) ) to Le Mans next week so want to be more safe than sorry!