Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Small 4/5 door electric car wanted.

paul jacobs

I'm interested in dipping my toe into the Electric car experience, but  don't want to sell the present fleet, so only want an older car car to play with, does anyone have something like a Note or similar they want to sell?

Also any advice would be welcome, as all this electrickery stuff is new and alien to me.

Thanks,   Paul.

• Area Representative

Paul, my BiL got a VW ID-3 easily, accepting a car in the showroom, rather than fussing about colour.

FWIW, I test drove a Zoe and it was great. Obviously NOT a Seven but if I wasn't wedded to my two mistresses, I would buy one.  It is difficult enough to give two cars enough attention so a third would be absurd.

Hi Jonathan,  

I hope she likes it, Im sure she will.  At least if its her first car, she wont have to relearn years of driving habits, she should be easier as a 'EV native'.  

At this stage, I've not decided on the home charger unit - this company are local to me in Lancashire, and they have quite a bit of guidance and information on their website https://evolutionsolutions.co.uk/ 

However, the market leader seems to be PodPoint and I've checked out our neighbours installation. If you install before April there is a grant of £350 available.  Im going to properly sort it out when I have the order confirmed with VW and an approximate build slot, probably in the New Year. 

Cheers
Tom 

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I have ended up buying a brand new car, something I really wanted to avoid.  However, I'm running it through my company, so can write off the depreciation against any profit I might be lucky enough to make.

I was on my way to check out a Peugeot e-308, highly regarded by Autocar, when I passed an MG dealer.   Yes, I know - Chinese, but actually the Chinese, for all their difficulties, can make some pretty good stuff if they want to.

Long story short etc, I have ended up buying an MG5 Estate car, which should be perfect for all the running around journeys, with its range of 200 miles +/-.  I didn't get the best deal, because I really need it right now, but got a bit of a deal and am collecting it on Monday the 1st Nov.

Watch this space (or one close by) for more info.

Possibly a bit too late but... if you want to try out an electric car try Onto. I rent a Zoe on a month by month notice basis, all inclusive (inc charging). Not cheaper than some of the deals on Zoe's but allows you to try and swap cars as well. I've found the Zoe to be great but regularly get caught out with public chargers - yesterday I came out of the restaurant and found the charger had stopped just after I left the car meaning another 30 min wait to be able to get home, then later in the evening the fast charger in the pub car park showed as available but the site was closed for building work. I charge on the std 3pin to top up at home which is fine for school runs and local trips - and pre-heat the car on frosty mornings. Apparently having a commando socket installed by an electrician and buying a smart 7kw charging cable is a cheaper option than a non standard charger install (if your parking isn't near your fuse box).