Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series ticking - noisy tappet?

Mole

Since fitting Jenvey DTH TBs,air box and Emerald ECU, my 1.8 K-series seems to have developed a ticking noise when running. It varies with engine speed and seems to be on the inlet side but I can't locate it any closer than that.

At first I thought that it might be one of the hydraulic tappets that hadn't oiled up, but it's the same after after a blat as it is at startup.

I have changed the cams BUT I ran the new cams with the standard MEMS and plenum before fitting the TBs etc and didn't have this noise (or could it have been muffled by the plastic plenum?)

There doesn't seem to be any effect on running, the engine idles and revs smoothly (certainly much better than in standard form).

Does anyone else have a ticking engine? What could it be? Is anything getting damaged?

SV 52 CAT the mole is hibernating

My R300 developed a 'ticking' noise on startup after about 500 miles, and it is still there after a blat, but can't hear it during normal running, only at idle.

It's been in for it's service and is still there so I presume that nothing was found to be amiss. I think the R300 has mechanical tappets, so it can't be due to them.

To be honest, no idea what it is - but it still goes fine. I'm trying to to get too concerned about it.

SteveP

Edited by - SteveP on 28 Mar 2003 09:06:08

It might well be the injectors that you can hear...you might be able to isolate the noise by putting the (blunt) end of a screwdriver in your ear and holding the tip against the bit of the engine that you want to listen to.

Miraz

Geoffs advice is sound, the plastic plenum tends to deaden any noise whereas the TBs will amplify it.

Stevep, mechanical followers are not a guarantee of silence, quite the reverse in fact if one or more is badly set, the quietest and most reliable followers are hydraulic, valve clearances on solid followers are hard to set and are always a compromise between the clearance required when cold and that required when hot, hydraulic followers automatically adjust for the expansions and contractions which makes them the answer to a maidens prayer, if only they would work on more extrem lifts and durations... and if only the Caterham didnt suffer with oil aeration.

Oily

I'm pretty sure the R300 has hydraulic followers. The cams aren't aggressive enough to warrant solid followers. In the past Caterham only fitted solids to the SLR and R500. The SL had hydraulics as had all the 1.6 and 1.8 supersport variants. As the R300 engine is little more than supersport variant it is unlikely to have solids.

When I heard an R300 start up for the first time ever recently, it was rattly for a few seconds, then it became smoother. I put this down to the followers filling up.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

I made the assumption that it had solid lifters after reading the Supersport R article in Feb's Low Flying

"Numerous options, such as uprated bearings, mechanical tappets and a lightweight flywheel can be fitted to make it a full R300 engine ..."

SteveP

I noticed yesterday after a 40 mile blat that the ticking noise seemed to have disappeared. It was back again on re-start after a 20 minute stop. This makes me wonder if it is a tappet that is just very slow to fill and drains down once the oil is hot.

SV 52 CAT - the mole is awake

I had a very similar experience back end of last year. After a lot of head scratching and inspections I found a loose spark plug *eek*

It had me and several others fooled for a while and was initially diagnosed as a sticking cam follower.

A bit of a long shot but worth checking before you do anything else.

Steve

According to Simon (Caterham aftersales) the R300 has solid tappets, but the "R300" upgrade for standard or SS 1600/1800 retains the hydraulic tappets. Doesn't really help solve Steves question - but thought it might be of interest.

After further investigation, I have concluded that the ticking noise is coming from one of the injectors. I have noticed that the noise disappears on the overrun when the throttle is closed completely - i.e. when fuel is cut off, but reappears as soon as the engine resumes idling.

SV 52 CAT - the mole is awake