Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake judder

Olgawld

Hi. This is on my everyday car, not the Caterham, but thought I'd ask people's opinions. I recently had to replace a rear wheel bearing. At the same time I put on a new disc as old looked very worn and replaced the caliper, with pads, for almost new, second hand but in very good condition. Since, after driving a few minutes I'm getting bad brake judder through the pedals and can hear/feel it. I've checked the disc with a gauge and doesn't seem warped. I disconnected abs but still the same. Funny thing is I've been caught out in heavy rain storms last couple of days and almost straight away my brakes return back to normal, they seem to like being wet. Any suggestion? Could it be because I only replaced the disc and pads on one side, out of balance?? Thanks

Yeah, I should say the only reason I didn't was that the disc and pads on the other side are only a year ish old and not done many miles. For some reason, possibly a sticking caliper, the disc and pads on one side wore much quicker than the other.

As soon as you mention changing a bearing and brake judder together, it shouts out to me that's an issue with the bearing quality. You don't mention the make or model but my first question would be what was the source, price, and type of bearing.

Well I'm a bit confused but happier now. We had two heavy rain storms recently here that I was driving in. First one stopped the judder but then next day when dry the judder returned. Second storm again stopped the judder, and after 3 dry days driving since judder hasn't returned. I was all set to strip the brakes today to look but I shall leave for now and see if it returns, hopefully not. Thanks for responses. Not sure why the rain would cure it but hey ho.