Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow expansion tank install

Olgawld

Hi. I'm installing an expansion tank on my xflow and was just wandering about how high it needs to be. Where I'm looking at now the top smaller inlet from the thermostat housing is pretty much level in height with the thermostat outlet. The larger outlet I'm plumbing into the smaller inlet on the water pump, presume that's correct?, so is much higher. Does that sound ok, or does it need raising up so the smaller inlet is a bit higher up than the thermostat outlet? Hope that makes sense. Thanks

Dave, 

I've put my expansion tank ( which is from a Dacia Duster) on the middle of the scuttle as I removed the heater, its mounted as high as the height of the tank allows.  The larger outlet pipe goes to the half inch connector on the water pump, the smaller tank outlet goes to a vertical outlet on the thermostat housing, I swapped the original one thermostat housing for a later Fiesta one.

Alan

Cheers 7 wonders.

Alan I've ditched the heater too and sat the tank on the scuttle. I found an old thermostat housing among me boxes of bits, I think from a Fiesta, has the small vertical outlet. I put a spirit level across from this outlet on the housing to the small inlet on the tank and it's pretty much level. Just wondered whether that was ok or if I needed to lift the tank. Thinking about it after though I suppose it's more important about the outlet being higher, not so much the inlet. Hoped it'd be ok as sits there quite nicely and looks ok. Cheers. (Trust the project's progressing nicely?). Dave

Dave,

The project is progressing, waiting on the engine which will be back this month so she should be running in August. I raised the tank as high as it can go, the only limiting factor is catching under the bonnet, so it is what it is, I have a similar set up on the VX and don't have any trouble with that. One of the benefits of the long tail hoses to the tank, is that you can fill the system before you bolt the tank in place and if hold the tank about 1 metre above the engine it creates a good head of coolant to force any air out.

Alan