Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400 K Series - dry sump set up / oil level

Blackmamba

Hi

I've been reading some of the old threads on the K series dry sump system and how to correctly read the level. Seems to be a number of dry sump set ups and ways to read the oil!

First thing I wanted to check was that mine has the standard / correct set up for an R400. The oil tank looks to be the standard item with the catch tank located under nose cone behind the radiator (off side). Is this the standard set up and location?

B8A78D23-2E9D-4B1B-A5DC-84469482A57B.thumb.jpeg.df4f61e784dd129333dc598c6d6fe8ca.jpeg

The next question is then how best to check the oil for this set up. I've so far followed the manual (run it hot, check using the built in dipstick within 1 minute etc) and while it seems fine, I noted that many people found this inaccurate. Is the issue the dipstick doesn't fully reach the bottom? I've topped up the oil and put a little extra in and noticed a very small amount collected in the catch tank

I'm trying to make the most of the weather and have done about 1200 miles in the last month or so. Want to make sure the car is adequately topped up. So far seems to have used very little oil. I know cars vary depending on engine / use etc but was expecting some oil consumption after reading other people's experiences.

Any suggestions welcome.

C9887B4F-C7D6-44AC-81D7-F091370108A1.thumb.jpeg.c4cbdf9829d3d92e8e556aff67ec93af.jpeg

• Leadership Team

Rather than using the built in dipstick (there's a plain cap available to replace it) it's easier to use a long length of rod and measure the level from the bottom of the tank up, so a rod that is long enough to insert in the top and it touch the bottom of the belltank.

I use a length of 5mm aluminium rod that I bought in B&Q, so nothing particularly technical, I've made a mark 10.5" from the end and this is the approximate depth of oil you need. Ideally you want to add as much as you can without it blowing off into the catch tank, at which point you've added too much!  After hard driving the oil will gain some air bubbles and becomes difficult to measure, it's better to let it settle first otherwise you'll keep adding more oil and keep filling the catch tank.

To clarify, the 10.5" is the depth of oil measured from the bottom of the belltank, not the top.

Stu.