Click here if you are having website access problems ×

First track day - setup/prep Donington

TobyB

Hi everyone - seems appropriate that my first post should accompany the first track day in my new 360R Duratec (well, the 360 isn't new but it's new to me). I've done plenty of track days, but this being the first for me in a Cat can anyone point me to existing posts about recommended setup/prep and/or any general advice, things to watch out for (apart from every other car on track), that sort of thing? Track day is at Donington May 5th if anyone here is going. Cheers, Toby

• Support Team

If you search out Rob Oldland on YouTube (think his username is  RobO on here?), there is a very useful video on what pre-track checks that he does - including scoket sizes and torque settings for the spanner check.  There's also a few other very useful videos on his channel as well.

One thing I found on my first time on track with my car is is that the mirrors are next to useless at spotting other cars on track when at high speed on the straight if they are bolted to the doors as they flap around too much!

Try not to get ****ed off with cars holding you up in the twisties then pissing off on the straights when they don't lift enough for you to pass and assume because you don't you're not interested rather than you're absolutely flat out but just don't accelerate above 90mph very easily (especially if you've got a screen rather than aeroscreen)

[moderator edited to remove bad language]

• Leadership Team

At most track days, you'll find people wearing all sorts of things, but if you've got a race suit and boots, just wear them!  Safety kit won't do you any good if left in the cupboard. 

Race boots in particular make a huge difference in a narrow footwell.

Thanks Mcalvert. If I'm just going for a drive I usually wear my race boots anyhow because they are perfect for the job. I can't face getting out the car and going into a coffee shop in bright red and white alpinestars though :-) 

So there we are. If anybody wants to look out for someone with all the gear and no idea, I'll be at Castle Coombe for the Williams track day on July 27th. I might go the whole hog and get an F1 style cool vest and an assistant to hold my umbrella in the paddock!!!