Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ignition switch heating up

Rex

My ignition switch has been replaced once over the years. The car is a 2002 SV and the switch is supposed to be a Rover unit but is labeled as Lucas. The new switch is several years old and still functioning but is quite warm to the touch after a run. Is this normal?

If it is not heater induced, I would say there is a contact resistance in the switch causing it to get hot.

I had a switch fail. There is a copper contact plate inside that bridges the contacts as you turn the key. This plate has a series of springs behind it to apply pressure to the contacts. In my case one of the springs had broken. I managed to replace just the switch with a landy defender one from Rimmer Bros.

The original ignition barrel was from something like a TR4 - at this time Elliott Lucas was a major manufacturer of car parts for the automotive industry when the UK had one!! Just googled and Lucas is still trading under the company name of ELTA.

Could also be dirty / worn contacts but the switch isnt really serviceable. You can prise them apart but lots of little pieces fly everywhere!

Regards

Ian