Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LED halo indicator help

Doc007

I replaced my headlights with LEDs with an incorporated halo DRL/indicator ring. And whilst they work really well there is one potentially MOT-scuppering problem. Instead of the halo DRL extinguishing when the halo indicators are flashing they flash indicator/DRL/indicator/DRL. They should flash indicator/nothing/indicator/nothing.

I've recorded this happening but can't see an option for posting on this site.

I would have thought it would be a relatively easy issue to resolve with resistors/relays/capacitors/other electrickery for the electrically minded. I'm not that person.

Any ideas?

Not /that/ simple, but...

If you let the switch on the dash operate a two pole relay where one pole turns off the DRL and the other operates the indicator as the switch would originally have done, then you're sorted.

I got them from Amazon - here's the link;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H18SLRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They weren't plug and play but the wiring was pretty straight forward ie same number of wires on the car and in the headlight.

Albeit, I also swapped out the Original Indicator light for a White LED light which comes on the same time as the Daytime Running Light in the Main Headlight.

Chris

I had a similar issue with my lights.  The MOT tester failed the car because the hazards would not work with the ignition off.  To rectify this, I bridged the sidelight wire and indicator wire with a diode.  The hazards now come on with the ignition off - but like you, the DRLs also appear to flash.  I've checked the (current) MOT regs and they say the light cannot emit white and amber at the same time. They don't. I've videoed it and you can see that's the case if you advance frame by frame.  I've got a copy of the video on my phone in case I need to show it to the tester at the next MOT.    Of course, the easier solution is to find a 7 friendly garage who lets you sit in the car and press the buttons for the MOT test.  Then, conveniently, have the ignition on when you come to test the front hazards and the problem does not exist!