Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brooklands stanchion fitting

7_Malc

Hello aero drivers.

I have been assembling my "brooklands on a stanchion" kit and now I come to fit it to the car, the holes  on the stanchion are 3-5mm out of alignment with the scuttle holes (windscreen mounts). I test fitted the plain stanchion before assembly and it lined up fine. Now it does not.

My question is: Do these stanchions bend so easily that it could now be out of shape? If so, what is the best method of re-aligning it? It does not seem to follow the line of the scuttle very well, so I suspect it has flexed out of shape.

For those Brooklands users who often switch between screen and Brooklands, does this alignment issue sound familiar?      

Here are my photos. The stanchion is bolted on (one side) and weighted down with a sandbag). 

ScuttleStanchion_004.thumb.jpg.4aa5ba0bf8bcbf57a85ffcd0b22924c0.jpg

1. Passenger side holes are not lining up. Pulling the stanchion downwards closed the gap, but not enough to pass bolts through.

ScuttleStanchion_002.thumb.jpg.8b3098e77d6444c32ce21a766a43ad43.jpg

2.The passenger side of the stanchion does not follow the scuttle shape very closely. Is this correct?

ScuttleStanchion_001.thumb.jpg.ee465fb21796ec169b325b1eedf2bda7.jpg

3.With the drivers side bolted on, the stanchion does not follow the curve of the scuttle very well. There are gaps all along and very visible under the mirror mount. Is this correct?

I have been switching back and forth between a full windscreen and Brookland stanchion for several years. The stanchion is long and heavy with most of the weight at the ends. Unfortunately your stanchion has been bent in shipping or handling. It just needs to be gently bent back into shape. I would suggest putting tape on the car where the stanchion fits so you don't scratch the paint, and gently, a little bit at a time, bend it back into shape. If you take your time and watch your progress, you will be fine. 

If it flexes a bit lining up the bolt holes that's normal.  

• 4 weeks later...

Today was my first proper drive with the Brooklands – 30 minutes to RatRace for the service and MOT. I love the open feeling, but did find it more buffeting than expected and would have lost my hat if the ear-defenders were not clamped over the top.

The car has lowered floors, passenger toneau cover and driver halfdoor fitted – so I had hoped most of the rushing air would be deflected over my head.   

Is it possible to adjust the rake of the Brooklands to reduce / minimise the gales at 60mph and beyond? 

Yes, the rake can be adjusted just by loosening the wing nuts on one side of each screen. Remember to tighten afterwards.

I find that if I hold my hand up on my forehead there's hardly any wind but once raised above my head you can feel the full force.

I'm 5"8' with Tilletts fixed directly to the standard floor and have no issues with baseball caps flying off at motorway speeds, it's only when I look up that the wind catches the peak and the cap flies off. I attach a lanyard to the back of the cap and loop it through the Tillett holes this means the cap can be retrieved whilst driving.