Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Motamec Mirrors

420R

I think I'm going to go for these mirrors as you can lock them with a grub allen screw as opposed to the DPR mirrors.

Has anyone drilled the alloy screen uprights with the screen in place and then tapped four holes to fit for allen bolts?

Is it too risky a job?   

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motamec-Racing-02-Formula-Side-Wing-Mirror-x2-Convex-Glass-MATT-BLACK-F1-Car/233823947816?epid=23004473785&hash=item3670fe4c28:g:5ZIAAOSwXZ1f2kyk

The alternative is this expensive DPA/SPR solution...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DPR-Caterham-Pillar-Mount-to-fix-Spa-mirrors-to-the-windscreen-stanchion/373016891123?hash=item56d98a0ef3:g:MYEAAOSwafNe8K6T

its fairly easy to brace one side of the screen and then remove the stanchion which would make the job way easier and safer, from my experience (read disastorous glazing skills) only one touch with a drill bit and its curtains. Love the links though and it sometimes pays to outlay to get a really nice aesthetic.

• Leadership Team

Even if you manage to drill them with the screen in situ you'll have difficulty tapping them all the way through.

Wouldn't it be better to do one side at a time, leave the screen in place (get someone to hold it) and remove the stanchion, drill, tap and refit?

Stu.

It makes sense to remove the screen uprights (one at a time) and drill/tap them away from any potential screen carnage.

However I cannot see access to the nuts from the cockpit.

It looks like inner a riveted inner panel will need to be removed which is a bit of a job? 

Ok thanks.

I decided to bite the bullet and bought the not bad value SPA Mirrors and the very expensive DPR stanchion mounts (for what they are!)

It's a lot more ££'s at circa £120 all up but it all goes together with no drilling or the potential for destroying the screen.  

As I was told at an early age..

"go for the last penny and it ends up costing you pounds!"

Wish I'd seen this post sooner, as I have fitted the Motamec mirrors without drilling the A-Pillars by designing and 3D printing a small spacer which uses the original holes. 
Happy to share more details if this is of interest. 
Might actually have a spare set of spacers too.
Chris