Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2021 Track Days - Novice help

mandalman

Hi Guys

As someone who only bought a Caterham last Summer and has yet to do any trackdays I was eagerly awaiting the 2021 calendar, particularly the novice track day at Castle Combe. Unfortunately this date clashes with the Curborough Sprint School that I have already booked and paid for (what are the chances eh?).

So a two part question:

1. Is there likely to be any form of personal rtuition available for novices at the other tracks that we can pay for ourselves?

2. I have ear-marked Mallory Park and Donnington as they are the closest to me in Birmingham and also Angelsey,  purely because it looks stunning. Would you say these tracks are suitable for a novice?

1. There is tuition as part of the package at all L7C track days, the "novice" tag mainly means there is more support in actually getting on track.

2. The mornings are run in sessions divided into groups by level of experience so you would be with other less-experienced drivers, some of whom will not have been on track either.  I don't know if they are doing the "buddy" system this year but there will always be someone ready to give you a hand - and probably too much advice!   Not many circuits are unsuitable for novices, just drive at a pace you are happy with as long as you keep an eye on your mirrors and let anyone quicker past on the straights.  L7C track days are very well run and AFAIK slow cars don't have a problem even when everyone is on track together in the afternoon (in my experience novices are easier to overtake and that means I don't mind waiting through a slow bit).

Both tracks are ok for novices but the layout of Mallory is very easy to remember. Getting the geography right is important when you're just starting out. You can then focus a bit more on rear view mirrors and lines instead of wondering where the track goes...

As an aside, my first trackday was at Donington and I completely failed to note the track exit position. I was then forced to stay out more laps than I wanted to until I found the way out. It's simple things like this that add to the stress of the first on track experience. I have now driven nearly 60 different circuits in the UK/Europe?USA and know the exit points of all  *thumbup*

Thanks for the advice (and phone call Simon). Taking all into consideration I have registered for Cadwell park, Snetterton and Angelsey, I'm greatly looking forward to meeting other members and finding out what this track day lark is all about.

Out of interest do people generally just use the tyres they've turned up on or does anyone bring a spare set of wets (just in case) and if so, what are recommended?

Did my first (and only,so far) trackday last Autum at Anglesea and found it to be a friendly experience with little willy-waving and everyone just wanting to have fun. Not moving over when faster care are behind is about the only thing frowned upon and I didn't see anyone doing stupid stuff. I found watching Youtube videos in advance helpful in learning the track, so when I got there I had some idea which direction the next corner went. Simon and team are super helpful. I'm booked in again at Anglesea so maybe see you there.

Many of the more experienced drivers trailer their car up and have full workshops and spare tyres etc, but many just drive up and track what you got. Depending where you come from, the drive up through Wales to Anglesea is all part of the fun.