Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting the crutch strap.

CtrMint

Hi,

Sorry another post.  I'm fitting the crutch strap to the 420R at the moment and I'm a bit stuck due to the build manual not matching the parts supplied.

I recently bought the crutch strap kit from CC, not sure if the kit parts have changed over the years.  I've also bought the spacer since I've got lowered floors too.  I'm using the new Duratec build manual, as it included the crutch strap install with a nice diagram, but as mentioned it doesn't match.  

These are the parts I've got from the kit, inc spacers.

parts_0.jpeg.fe7cb6d87839cb6152a92f7497a5b34b.jpeg

The manual info is shown below, clearly different.  I don't have x2 WPH 7/16 washers per side.   Plus I have a cardboard style washer (new one on me), and a wave washer.  Not sure which is the S156 spacer.

Has anyone else come across this?  Advice most welcomed   Thanks

Image24-10-2020at13_03.jpeg.a6d453f24c7233288673e64c6cbd0222.jpeg

Looks like the S156 and S65 have now been made as one piece in which case the wavy washer goes directly above or below the harness plate.

The washers under the nyloc are not required any way as this is a steel chassis bracket.

As for the fibre washers..... could you make use of them in a Halloween costume perhaps *blah* unless they are to take un manufacturing tolerance between the chassis and the floor pan..

Thanks,

When I came to actually have a go it became apparent there was limited space anyway. I've obviously fitted the larger washer on the outside of the chassis, then the insert, belt spacer, chassis, wavey washer, another washer I had and a lock nut.  I guess the wavey washer is in the wrong place.  That said, getting any fixing under the chassis plate inside the car will be a challenge, there isn't space.

One thing I did notice, is that the seat won't go all the way back on the rail now, as it interferes with the rear belt fixings.  Has anyone else found this?  It's made a tight cockpit feel even tighter as I'm pushed closer to the pedals and my therefore my knee is more bent raising it into the dash.  Hope I've done something wrong but can't see how.

There are some pics on my Instagram if it helps. 

Thanks

The wavy washer is there to take up tolerances and stop the harness bracket rattling. In theory the top hat is just taller than the harness bracket so the wavy washer sits on top the bracket to take up that slack. 

it doesn't add to the safety and in practice the tolerances of the brackets and fittings can vary a lot. I don't use them but in a race car the belt rattling or not is not a consideration.