Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery Cut off (more Q's)

GPBox

Its been helpful to see Martins Q's answered on this topic...I'm doing a similar (why the hell not)) install on my 2004 R400K....I do like to think I can find my way around basic electrics ;-)

Think the only Q's I have left is wrt the 'brown wires' referred to in the install instructions..Disconnect the two brown wires from the positive terminal of the battery, cut off their terminals and join the bare wires together. Solder to this joint the additional brown wire provided, insulating well with insulating tape and attach the 1/2" ring terminal to the other end.

on my car, I have on the +ve battery terminal..a single connector with TWO brown wires connected into it...AND another heavier brown wire (which I think is the Alternator feed)....I've discounted the heavy Red lead which I will re-route to the FIA switch.

My Q's:

- does the instructions above refer to the existing 2x brown wires that are ALREADY connected together into a single connector ?.....or does it mean I connect the 'alternator feed' into those existing 2x brown leads (so actually having x3 wires combined) and then take the new extension lead to the cut off switch ?

alternatively, (assuming I am right and the heavy brown single lead is the alternator feed) I could connect that wire into the starter solenoid terminal along with the new return +ve feed from the Cut-off switch ?...removing need for that heavy current to be routed all the way to the FIA switch ?..and only routing the other two (combined) brown wires.

hope the above makes sense !

cheers Graham

After further investigation...I've confirmed one of the leads was the Alternator charge lead....that's now been replaced with a direct lead from Alternator to the Starter ...so one less to extend to FIA switch...as the return Battery power will attach to Starter too...

the other two brown leads....disappear into the loom...no big deal I'll join and extend them to the FIA switch as per the instructions....once my eBay leads turn up...hopefully job-done...

cheers