Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff breather solutions?

Scotland North AR

Morning all, another day under the car cleaning the rear and painting chassis tubes. The driver's side where the diff breather comes out is caked with muck/oil mist...or was. The diff breather consists of a short, 75mm, rubber tube tail.

What have people done regarding a diff breather catch bottle or longer tail?

Photos would be appreciated.

Thanks.

An ingenious solution that has been tried is to attach a plastic medical syringe via a short rubber pipe. Apparently the oil mist pushes the piston back and condenses in the syringe. The resulting oil can the be re injected into the sump.Dave Morrell used this system which IIRC came via Dave Gemzoe

I have a conventional catch tank fixed to the top rail behind the driver. It doesn't seem to fill, perhaps the mist condenses in the pipe and drains back into the diff

• Area Representative

Hi Nigel

I removed the breather pipe and replaced it with a longer plastic pipe which I curled into a pigtail loop (secured by a cable tie. I then routed the pipe towards the ground and cable tied it to a convenient chassis rail. 

Peter did similar but routed the end of the pipe into a tiny plastic bottle.

I think simply extending the pipe into a pigtail loop is probably the key. Neither of us have experienced oil being ejected since.