Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery preservation

MarkD

I've just been able to secure a garage to house the 7 but it is in a block away from the house so there's no power socket anywhere near. I'm conscious of letting the battery drain between use and have already been caught out with it draining and needing a boost to start (its a Banner in a K series).

Are there any suggestions of what's best, I could just disconnect it or even take it home and put it on a battery conditioner when not being used. Would installing a battery cut-off switch help?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

A battery cut-off is a good idea to allow you to easily remove parasitic loads.  That way you're only concerned about its self discharge rate.  When my Banner died (impact damage, not the usual) I replaced it with an AGM battery, they tend to have a lower self discharge rate so are better for my (sporadic) usage.  I think mine is intended for use in a large mower actually.  it's lighter, smaller and cheaper than a banner.  it's been in for 6 or 7 years now and has no trouble starting the 7 after being ignored for 6 months in the winter.  i don't leave it on a tender.

Thanks both, I think I'll have the cut-off installed, I try and use the 7 as often as possible but sometimes in Winter this is just to make sure it's given a good run. The AGM sounds great and I'll keep a note to check these out once the current battery dies.

• Area Representative
If you are leaving it over winter, I'd disconnect the battery and bring it home.

If you are talking about a fortnight then a cut-off switch should help. If you never use it to cut the power to the engine, think about disconnecting the earth.

A better link for solar is direct to Optimate.

https://www.optimate.co.uk/products?tag=Solar

Hi Mark,

I was in exactly the same situation as you. Garage in a block with no power & a K series 7. For the first winter I ended up having to remove the battery after a drive and bring it into the house for charging on a ctek charger as a couple of weeks or less would see the immobiliser drain the battery. I had an isolator fitted with the switch located on the bulkhead near the fuse box on the passenger side but easily operated from the drivers side (harness off).

It really changed the way I used the car over winter. Previously, moments of opportunity to drive the Seven were tempered with the fact that I had to re-fit the battery first which had lazy old me sometimes not bothering. The isolator changed all that.

It's well worth doing.