Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Six Speed Box - Oil Topup?

MikeE

Following the advice I got from blatchatters last week I got the car up on axel stands and found the gearbox oil level plug. First off I could get the alen key in as there's only an inch or so's clearance. So I take a trip to a couple of car tool places and finally find the equivalent of a one inch lo ng alen key (10mm).

So I get under the car again and find it just fits in. Put a 10mm ring spanner on it and.......can't shift the thing *mad*

1. So first off what tool do you usually use for this?

2. Is there another route to topping up the box (as this is the level plug AND the top up I assume).

3. I found the oil leak was comming from the speedo drive (a spindle hanging under the gearbox with wires coming out of it?). This seems to be a push fit with a circlip! There's no way of tightening it up so it's bound to leak! Is this correct?

I wanted to top the box up as I'm off to North Weald next Monday for some hooning at a tuition day run by First Lotus. However as it happens I'm getting the Superlight serviced by Caterham next month.

4. It's a 12,000 mile service so will they top up the gearbox and diff as part of the service?

cheers,

Mike.

The Oil top up plug is a bugger to get at.

You are approaching it correctly, you just need more brute force I suppose. The drive is loose but should not leak. I'm not sure if it's part of the service schedule but whilst it is in why not get them to check it for you. Save the skin on your knuckles for another day!

It's a superlight so no carpets *smile*

There's no grommet for accessing this plug, just a couple for the speedo drive and reverse light switch which are to the rear of the gearbox - the filler plugs at the front. Anyway it seems to me that there is a strutural cross-member in the way so you wouldn't be able to gain better access from the footwell anyway (an inspired piece of design really *mad*)

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Edited by - MikeE on 17 Mar 2003 10:11:15

Don't bother peeling the carpet back looking for a grommet 'cos there isn't one for the fill/level plug. *thumbdown*

It is conveniently right next to a tube in the tunnel so there would be no point.

As for the seal:-

Remove the speedo drive head / cable

Remove the brass top hat which is only the attachment for the drive, not the seal and hence a bit 'loose' (retained by circlip as you say)

There is a lip seal on the bottom of the speedo drive behind this - If it's any use mine had the reference FRP 8-16-7 on the seal as installed a few weeks ago (bearing factor may find this useful if you want a replacement for pennies!) 😬

Anybody know where to get the Redline MTL in N. Hampshire 🤔

For the filler plug I cut 1/2" from a 10mm Allen key and had it welded to the end of a 12" piece of flat bar. Plenty of leverage and works a treat.

Brent

7 not now in so many bits 😬

My 6 speed gearbox speedo drive is also leaking.

I have bought the seal for a five speed box on the assumption that they are the same.

Can the seal be removed and replaced from the gearbox casing without removing the speedo drive shaft? Any suggestions for methods of removing old seal?

John S

I just phone Caterham service and they're saying it's not uncommon for this seal to leak, they say it's a half hour job to sort the seal - so £26 plus parts.

I've booked in for a 12,000 mile service on my October 2000 Superlight (8,000 miles so far) and they are quoting a base price of £425 inclusive but say they will probably find some other things which need fixing!!!!!!

Having previously owned 3 TVRs I was looking forward to cheaper servicing costs, is this typical???

cheers,

Mike.