Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Airbox

Dr. Evil

I have a factory LHD roadsport sigma with the airbox (from a Ford) that is plonked in front of the heater.  It breathes through a tube from the bottom of the heater box to cold air from the heater louvres on the bonnet.  I have no data to support this being a bad arrangement but it just seems like it would be restrictive at higher revs.

I cant fit a later caterham airbox next to the throttle body as it has the old-style pedalbox and master-cylinder in way on the LHS.

I'm thinking putting an ITG style cold airbox (maybe a ARAB65); just wondering is there any reason not to put the airbox/filter under the nose cone and tube it back to the MAF & throttle body or if the airbox should be close to the MAF/throttle body?

The problem with picking up induction air from below the nosecone is that it collects and rapidly gets clogged with muck from the road.  I had experience of this a year or two ago when a member was struggling with an R300 that would not rev above about 3000rpm under load.  On investigation, the cone type airfilter which was enclosed within the trunking, was full of leaves, grit, oil and all manner of carp and completely starved the engine of air.  Once the filter was removed his comment was "I now know what driving an R300 feels like"!

If you have no other reasonable option, just ensure that you frequently check the filter.

Paul

• Leadership Team

Mine's a K-Series but no reason an airbox setup should be any different. My intake is under the nose, simply a mesh grill bonded into the underside of the nose which allows the air to enter trunking which is attached to the front lower chassis rail at the inlet end then fed up to an airbox. The filter is in the end of the airbox and easy to access to keep clean.

97087E9B-3356-4355-A170-CBD45537F4F5.thumb.jpeg.58985b8429f31c01a43eb6055500f902.jpeg

B7DC04DB-1DBD-48BB-AD9B-1BBB0ADEF210.thumb.jpeg.d2d26e7e07c5bb9975cb78cff3809ede.jpeg