Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow won’t start on button or key -Solved, I wuv u lot!

Stridey

OK, had an issue this week after driving fine on Wednesday afternoon, saw it was charging (voltmeter indicated 13.8).

On night drive to club meet I noticed red alt light would dimly glow, getting slightly brighter under load. No sign of alternator charging, volts slowly going down from 12.4 to 11.4.

On returning to car it was very nippy, and car would not start on button, or key. Short push start got me home, volts reducing slowly, but enough to keep things running.

Fitted new alternator, gave battery a days trickle charge, battery on 12.4v

Absolutely nothing on the red button or key this morning. I can hear fuel pump.

What should my problem solving plan of action be now do you think? I'm tempted to check wiring under dash first, but wondered what the gurus reckon?

Suspect the thin wire to the starter motor that triggers the solenoid. Disconnect it at starter. Get a new cable and fit a connector to one end. Connect this to starter terminal. Then, with car in neutral and master switch on, touch the other end on battery + terminal. Expect a big spark, but hold it in place. Starter should crank engine.

OK, pulled plug to do test above but found cable had an extra wire that was not fixed to anything, I suspect it's fallen out of somewhere... but where close by? Wire is the single one with white cable and female connector on it.

BE65D0A6-2DF1-4553-AD5E-3569F9DC01A4.thumb.jpeg.379afa0f43eb7540032bf6da197040d3.jpeg

Solved! Thanks SM25T as my first port of call was alt end plug wiring, which revealed an extra unplugged wire, which had pull out of somewhere. As the only place I could think of was the starter motor I felt near the big wire and felt a tab, that probably should have had that erroneous wire in. Put it in, put plug back on alt, fingers crossed, fired up first time, 13.8 on the button.

Will spend a little time tomorrow putting dialectic grease on connections and checking earths anyway, to prep for autumn.

Thank you so much.