Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Balancing on throttle bodies

bennetts2013

I have a 150 Superlight - Ford Sigma Engine.

Idle was running too slow so I have adjusted the allen head screw on the main throttle body to run at just under 1000rpm which seems ok. 

There's a second adjustment allen head with anti vibration spring to balance between the throttle bodies - does anyone how is this best adjusted to make sure they are balanced? Any decent video or protocol online?

Take air filter off

Check  WOT achieved and is the same on both throttle bodies with engine OFF. With engine warmed up and running and throttle closed, listen with a length of tube down each trumpet...should sound the same

OR

Make and use a vacuum gauge ( plate with breather hole  and small bore tube + water) at closed throttle with engine running. DO NOT blip thottle or water will go in engine! 

Or

Buy a flow meter/syncrometer (lots available from your local website)

AND

Balance on centre screw, set revs on end screw, set throttle pot...and again....and again....etc.   Best of luck, they are a pain to get (all 3) right but it passes the (a lot of) time!

Note:-  I have seen several Caterham throttle bodies which are not machined or matched as a pair or matched to the head ports. These cannot be properly balanced without a lot of fettling and realignment.