Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upper Steering shaft removal

ns1

• Area Representative

1) Ensure that the front wheels are straight ahead.

2) Amendment (having keyless go I forgot this step) If steering column lock/ignition barrel fitted unlock steering.

3) Remove steering wheel.

4) Under the bonnet identify upper steering column clamp. (aluminum block with two bolts & locked grub screw just forward of bulkhead).

5) Amendment (having keyless go I forgot this step) If steering column lock/ignition barrel fitted unlock steering.

6) Loosen the grub screw lock nut & loosen the grub screw. Remove the two clamp bolts, then remove the clamp.

7) Slide upper column up into the cockpit ensuring that the upper column bush does not come with the column.

Refit is reverse of removal!! 

NOTES: Lubricate upper column bush & column to aid fitting (rubber spray or vaseline). Ensure orientation of QR coupling so that the steering wheel position is correct. The coupling will only fit one way so if the steering wheel fit is not correct rotational adjustment of the lower shaft at the UJ may have to be carried out. Adjust fit of upper column so there is slight clearance for the steering wheel boss from the upper bush housing.

Torque load the two bolts to 14Nm. Tighten the grub screw after the bolts.This eliminates free play. 

Simples.........

A spray of brake cleaner helps the bush slip out and back in again! The trick is to get the rubber pimple in the hole in the steering tube.

If the new column doesnt have a lock plate welded on, you should be able to put the bush in then carefully put the column in after.

I also use brake cleaner for sliding on bicycle handlebar grips - once evaporated they’re stuck on!!

I recently removed the upper column of the type shown on the Caterham site.

As Wrightpayne says, just turn the key to the first position releasing the bolt, the upper bush did come away with the shaft, no big deal, when installing new upper shaft, be sure to push the bush into place when the lower end has engaged the shaft in the engine bay, not sure if you can use the witness marks from the previous shaft to position the new one, but I doubt it will be far off.  

Enjoy your Q/R steering wheel, down here in the Antipodes Nanny won't allow us to use these on the road.  *nuts*

Nigel.

A spray of brake cleaner helps the bush slip out and back in again!

Brake cleaners differ in composition. But their solvent power often depends on acetone. I don't like using that when I don't have to as it can dissolve plastics and paint.

For the column bushes and similar I recommend silicone spray.

Jonathan

PS: And for handlebars I use washing-up liquid. :-)

Jonathan,

I disagree (not often with you!) Brake cleaners are designed to work around painted brake callipers and delicate rubber seals, but take your point about ingredients. The key advantage for using it to slip in or on a rubber component is that it evaporates / disappears leaving a good grippy bond between the rubber and component it is in or on.

I expect silicon spray and washing up liquid will leave a residue not conducive to the rubber component staying put. Also the latter has salt in it.

Many years ago, I remember dad re-gripping golf clubs using petrol in a similar technique.

That said I wouldn't spray brake cleaner on car bodywork for example. I always have a tin in the garage and mainly use it for getting metal components super clean.

Ian