Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Inertia reel seatbelts in a 2005 SV

classic1952

In a little triangular enclosure in the rear wheel arch. Have to drill out the rivets to open it.

Can send a photo if you need, but it's easy to see above the wheel and forward of the spring damper.

I really don't get inertia reel belts in a Caterham. It just feels so wrong.

Thanks for that. This is what I have been looking for but I am struggling to identify the enclosure you refer to, or the specific rivets I would need to drill out. If you have a photo handy that would be great.

I assume access is via the rear bulkhead?

I am hoping to keep the harnesses as well, I just want the inertia reels for short drives.

I have only had the car for 3 weeks. It is my second Caterham and the extra room in the SV has prompted me to consider fitting these belts.

Thank you very much, I think I understand now! It looks like the belt emerges via a slot in the bulkhead. 

Given the adverse comments I think I might look for a harness that is easier to get in and out of. I seem to pull a muscle every time I fasten the 3" harness, probably due to my age.

Personally don't like that type of harness either. Have to thread your arms through the loop each side, as the vertical straps are already attached. The regular harness really isn't that difficult to use. Each to their own.