Click here if you are having website access problems ×

wiring an alternator to MBE ECU and AIM display

Hanns Per

How do I wire an alternator with 2 control cables 1 alternator charge signal and 2 alternator field batt. correct to the ECU? I have now only the Alternator field batt cable conected to pin 13 of the ECU which is also the pin for the switched battery connection but this gives me a wrong reading of the battery voltage when the engine is not running. The alternator pulls about 0,5V.

thks Hanns Per

The alternator will need to know ignition is on, but how it knows may differ. Where do you have the alternator from?

The one I have has a battery sense that will compensate for the voltage drop in the wire from the alternator to the battery, a +ve input to let it know it's on and an output for the warning lamp. It can be run without the sense wire and the lamp.

More modern alternators have an output to let the ECU know how loaded it is and an input from the ecu to control how it charges.

thank You, I have the  original CSR Edge 45 W alternator. So far I was running with the Pin 2 IG connected to the switched battery connection of the starter. Following my reading  on SBD's homepage I took this connection away and hope it will be OK?

I doubt there'll be a switched ignition for the starter. It'll have a +ve (the fat wire) and and an actuation terminal, that will have the "go" as you hit the starter button (or turn the key) but no ignition.

I doubt there'll be a switched ignition for the starter. It'll have a +ve (the fat wire) and and an actuation terminal, that will have the "go" as you hit the starter button (or turn the key) but no ignition.

The alternator, however need to be wired in slightly differently.

As far as I can gather this is for the Edge alternator: http://www.super7.dk/pictures/ALTERNAT.gif

Not sure you need the warning lamp.

Thank You I had the connection without warning lamp. this is from the SBD website

SBD states their alternators are self-exciting and :Advantages of self-exciting alternator:
1. With no extra wires required it simplifies your wiring and less chance of issues relating to broken wires 
2. The regulator produces a higher voltage output, which is ideal for use with Lithium and lead acid batteries. 
3. If ignition light is required to warn of low Voltage an additional indicator is available.  Part No. ALT-WOSP-LVS-01

So if the Edge alternator is self-exciting then one would not a connection from L and I  I assume?

You need to "enable" the alternator with a +ve feed it the I (note that on the drawing of the connector it's marked Ig- for ignition) when ignition is on. Otherwise it won't charge the battery and you can not leave it on as it then would discharge the battert when the engine is not running