Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Build help - Oil cooler lines

CtrMint

If you have the mount off, I would try to carefully lift the engine a bit more to give yourself more clearance, you could refit the mount to the engine bracket while flexing the oil line against the front of the mount (assuming the 45/135 degree elbow is rotated to the optimum place, like in the photo I posted earlier), then lower the mount back into the chassis mounting holes.

There are quite a few awkward jobs on this car, but they pale in comparison to modding other cars in my opinion - I've done a 350bhp Nissan 180SX with my son, now getting his Z06 Corvette up to 450-500bhp, various other JDM Subarus - all had expensive and frustrating modifications to do that challenged the will to continue, all were still less fun than the Caterham when complete. On the Corvette I recently spent 3 hours with a big mallet until my hands were blistered, teasing another 5 degrees of bend into a 6mm thick aluminium mounting plate so that we could get 3mm of clearance between the oil cooler and oversized anti-roll bar. Took 50 hours of work to disassemble the driveline from the body and upgrade the driveline components including 4 hours of that just working on one inaccessible bolt degree by degree. Then we got to "tow the car to the dump" when we had the driveline on the garage floor and the body in the air and saw the thumb sized hole in the bellhousing where the clutch had exploded with a previous owner - no replacement bellhousings available in scrap yards or new, but I broke out the MIG welder and we fixed it, ending up with a satisfying repair and the car now back on the road.

Don't give up! It is worth it in the end!

Don't give up! It is worth it in the end!

Seconded!  

I've built two sevens now (K and Duratec), both of which threw up, er, hair-tearing-out frustrations.  Think of these as little tests of your resilience, patience and problem-solving skills.  Plus, you have BC to fall back on when you get really suicidal.

Your first drive will blow you away.

JV

Mark, a couple of thoughts before you get out the revolver......

Space is really tight in this LH engine Bay Area, and yours appears a little more so.  You may want to consider getting a bespoke hose made up which is not a big bucks investment (Caterham may have something in the parts bin to suit if we can come up with a spec). These are everyday hydraulic hose items as used on your average family JCB.  Why not check if you can get clearance if you try the radiator cooler hose end with the 90 degree elbow.  If this does not work an alternative spigot into the sump will be available.  Try a Google on oil cooler hose fittings.

Ended up slackening off the bolts on the block by about 2-3mm, plus the rubber mount.  Doing that gave me sufficient to get the bolt in and down a reasonable distance.  I then carefully wound the block bolts in carefully quarter of a turn a time.  Seems to have worked a treat.

I am absolutely destroyed, I look like the wife has been beating me, arms and hands are black and blue!  That has to be one of the worst jobs I've done on any car period.  Way more difficult than mounting the diff in the Caterham and the engine.