Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Unloved 620 rear exit exhaust

mike150

I'm a returning member and have just bought a 620s off a fellow member.

I've quickly realised I don't like the rear exit exhaust, it's ugly but the big issue is I've grounded it out on bumps badly.

I have options of a second hand side exit, a new raceco at £700 or a new R500 silencer at £480 or do I just modify mine to make it side exit? This last option isn't really reversible though and while noise isn't really a problem I don't want it much louder.

What's the consensus from owners?

Raceco

because

Raceco titanium is very light, dissipates heat very quickly, can reduce noise, 

the others are stainless, weigh a ton, don’t dissipate heat , dangerous for passing kids. 

Me? Stuck with rear exit stainless and much loved Raceco in the cupboard. 

My rear box (round muffler) has special skids fitted which protects the box and the pipe.

Anthony. R500 K year 2000

• Area Representative

I think i'd leave the standard exhaust on the shelf for the day when noise limits on tracks become a problem or is it possible to have a new end cap made for your current side silencer to be side exit and changeable to fit the rear exit section if needs be?

• Leadership Team

Whilst I have no experience of exhaust options on a 620, I run a shortened Raceco on a R500D and have not so far had any trackday noise problems.  Mike's workmanship is superb, too.  Had mine polished and it's holding up well three years on, 

I know someone has fitted a Raceco to a 620; it might ne Nigel Pugh who is likely to lurking on here somewhere (or track him down via his 620 Owners Facebook group).  That way you'll get some first-hand feedback.

James

A 620s grounds its exhaust because the spring / damper set up isn’t correct for the weight of the car . Even Caterham were running their S on R spec dampers when they attended the club track days .

You need to be looking at dampers if you want to cure the problem not the symptom .

As an early 620R owner who was supplied with two different exhaust configurations for my car I would suggest that you reconsider a side exit . The large Caterham side can measured 115DB drive by at Silverstone . It’s really loud and on the road your ears take a hammering . I sold mine to a R400 owner .

Caterham tried numerous exhaust configurations and employed (cranfield ?) to advise on acoustics . The boffins couldn’t get a side exit system that stood any chance of getting down to acceptable limits on track . That’s why the bespoke system was developed ( and the then current European rear exit box wasn’t used ) .

Save your money and buy some petrol ..... or some better dampers 

Well I had a go at removing my rear exit to see what it sounded like and I can't!!!!

Because the link pipe and end of the silencer has had a good hit its dented in at the joint so will have to be cut off if its ever to be removed for any reason. Either that or it will have to be butchered to separate it from the silencer.

I gave up and pushed it back together.

If you want to see  high quality work form a craftsman speak to Mike Edwards over in Wisbech, He's built many custom systems for guys on here mine included - superb quality  *thumb_up* 

Mike's webpage is still under contruction but he's on facebook and respond quickly to whatsapp's too,

https://en-gb.facebook.com/Edwardsmotorsport21/

I know of him, he sells through simon at Meteor Motorsport as Cic. My problem is I'm going to have to cut the existing set up off so I may as well modify it then! The Caterham design would be fine if they had used a flat profile pipe between the primary silencer and the back, it would have gained 30mm of ground clearance. My collector pipe and joint into the primary silencer is leaking badly too so that's a major contributor to noise. Caterham quality parts!!!!

I managed to get the link pipe off the end of the silencer, it involved a big hammer and a punch set!!!!

I tried the car with just the can on it and its not too much louder, actually a lot of the noise is being caused by the leaks at both ends of the collector so what ever I do I'll be using exhaust sealer when I reassemble it all.

I think I'm going to modify it into side pipe and try it as I may as well, I can always refit it to the link pipe with some fabrication. At least if I retain the standard silencer I keep the catalyst.

For those that are interested the rear silencer and link pipe weigh 6kgs.

If the exhaust is just mounted on the rear bracket by the front of the rear wing ... it sags between the manifold bolts on the head and this rear bracket. There is another mounting bush behind the side skin in the position detailed above. If you attach a bracket to the silencer or inlet you can fit another bracket to the body here to better carry the weight of the exhaust.