Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust - collector/silencer remove and replace; how hard can it be?

anthonym

Addressing my greatest fear here, maybe some sagesse from BC will help. 

I have a 150% oversize muffler and a rear muffler, all SS fabricated by Powerspeed. 

Now then, I watched last time it was removed and refitted, specifically the bit where the primaries meet the muffler.. iirc that is the collector. It was one heck of a tight fit. My previous much loved safe-for-kids-in-shorts titanium exhaust wasn't it was loose until hot. Having typed this I just realised that was two different metals being fitted together, whereas the SS one is Stainless Steel throughout (meaning very-dangerous-for-kids-in-shorts).

Here's the fear. If I (am able to) dismantle the SS exhaust, will I be strong enough to fit it back together (read slot silencer in to collector), and on my own? I suspect not. My wife maybe could do it.. she's stronger than me except where shopping is concerned...

The impact of this tale is fundamental to decisions I am making in real time while in a break-down situation somewhere in a remote area of France. Decisions are now made. However, what do we think? Regrettably me no Spring chicken any more and I was never known for my physical strength (to put it more politely than several mechanics I know well).

Are there any tricks to this process? How does one gain leverage? Is that possible? 

Anthony

• Area Representative

Hi Anthony, to separate is definitely a wiggle and tug to get the system apart and I leave the primaries firm to get a decent purchase on them.  

Refitting is much easier though when its all apart.  i attach the primaries loosely to the head, apply exhaust paste or copper grease if a good fit and this helps massively with getting the collector and then silencer(s) into place.  when its all fitted, I can then tighten the primaries and all the other joints as needs be and get it aligned properly.  Not much effort at all to assemble on to the car.

grease! What an excellent idea and so obvious it never occurred to me. While perusing this thread it has also struck me that maybe I can remove the side exhaust without dismounting the rear section, I need to check access to the connection between the two, very little space without it being at least off the ground and preferably on a lift; this connect is behind the rear NS wheel, so close to the ground I have had a skid/ski welded on, which gives a new meaning to surfing. I think really it's probably at least a two man job, there are just too many (heavy) parts and they stretch the length of the car. It's huge and it can't be at all light weight.

Anthony

Beware of using copper grease on exhaust components close to the cylinder head. My brother has an Esprit and used copper grease on the nuts holding the manifold to the head. When he tried to remove the cracked manifold the nuts were irreversibly fused to the studs with melted copper- it worked like brazing. Result engine out and cutting the manifold into small pieces with an angle grinder............

ok, so Mr Mechanic commented how very difficult it was to extract the puffler. He says one of the primaries is larger than the other three in diameter and that's why the tight fit. No 3 I think. 

Putting it back on this evening seemed remarkably easy - though he's a strong fellow (compared to me) so that may be making it look easier.

Anthony