Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X/Flow Rocker Cover Elbow Fitting

virden

I wish to plumb the crankcase breather into the side of my cast alloy rocker cover, and assuming the thickness of the casting is too thin to tap into (?) I am seeking a rivet shaped fitting onto which to attach an elbow.  I have tried  plumber's merchants and aquarium suppliers but cannot find a fitting which has an inner face slim enough to avoid interfering with the bits that go up an down.   Somebody  must have solved this challenge?  Suggestions please.

I have the breathing arrangement you describe (in one end, out to the catch tank from the other); the rocker cover was tapped (from memory; James Whiting did mine, but it was a long time ago...).

Alternatives are awkward: such as using what is, in effect, a bulkhead fitting (difficulties being finding one of appropriately modest depth, since such a thing would normally expect another hose fitted to the other end - and making damn sure that any locking nut cannot come loose, though you could modify the fitting) or welding a shallow nut around the hole on the inside (assuming you have access/ability to weld alloy - and a nut of the appropriate thread for your fitting). Or I suppose you could just weld the fitting on, perhaps?

Any other ideas, anyone?

If the plumbing is done sensibly, the elbow is under no great strain. In this situation, most cast rocker covers are chunky enough to tap for a 3/8" BSPT thread which is what a lot of the available elbows have. Do fit it with one of Loctite's hydraulic sealants though.