Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery & Alternator Diagnostics

Paul Mason

Some can be assembled with the bits rotated.

...the first instruction in the fitting guide for a Powerspeed exhaust to a K series engine is that the rear of the alternator may need rotating to allow clearance.

Discussed here.

Jonathan

PS: Did you eventually remove it without having to move any of the exhaust?

• 3 weeks later...
EEK, or indeed anyone, do you have the fitting instructions for a powerspeed on a K series so I can get the rotation right on the alternator (seen a 135 regress and a 7 o'clock mentioned). About to start stripping and rebuilding again now I know I need to tweak the alternator and want to get it right. Thanks

EEK, or indeed anyone, do you have the fitting instructions for a powerspeed on a K series so I can get the rotation right on the alternator (seen a 135 regress and a 7 o'clock mentioned). About to start stripping and rebuilding again now I know I need to tweak the alternator and want to get it right. Thanks in advance

phone powerspeed? ‭01233 662225‬ info@powerspeed.co.uk

p.s. I am curious how much clearance you have between the side skin and the alternator?

edit (made after post #40) to correct my error, my above p.s. should read:

p.s. I am curious how much clearance you have between the chassis frame (NOT side skin) and the alternator?

(Paul's answers remain apt regardless of this change.)

Assuming an S3.

Nah, there’s something very different to mine. 1.5mm versus 2 inches. That’s huge. Min’s now Brise, before that something else, but device size differences can’t explain this. I have 1.8 engine.. 

I’m just amazed; I have always  struggled to achieve even my 1.5 millimeters. 

I like Brise kit by the way, and they are very approachable and ever helpful when one calls by: down in Kent not far from Dartford iirc. They showed me my choices before building what I needed, and easier to fit because design includes allowing for mounting adjustments (starter). But I have interminable heat challenges. 

Edit: being at risk of hijacking your thread I’ve reread your op. 1.8 too and Brise. Yes, back to mother is best for sure.  And that creamy stuff is battery acid, I use boiling water to wash it off. I had a badly fitting breather in to my Banner battery. 14.1 volts is good alternator charging afaik. I see this often as I have voltage display. I have never seen 18 volts.

Anthony

I have a Bosch alternator Anthony, was confused, it's a Brise starter motor I have. Looked at Brise for a new alternator, but didn't have enough spare fundage so got the original repaired with a new regulator etc for a very reasonable £68 (though I am now getting re-repaired having broken the new plug with the exhaust clearance problem, but lesson now learned and backplate and plug getting moved). Aside from the original broken plug the alternator was pretty goosed, but worked spot on when rebuilt the first time with correct charge and after a couple of days on the conditioner, battery was also OK so once I've moved the plug/backplate, good to go out blatting again.

2B4DC22D-0DE6-49C6-AFBE-4B4C30667B04.thumb.jpeg.790b29e3a756fe44f842819cf86559c3.jpeg edited my post #31 because I was in error. I should have said chassis frame NOT side skin. 

This is mine. Zoomed in (which blatchat blocks in IOS/iPhone) one can see where it has previously worn in to the frame tube.

@jk to stop this pivoting on upload, after upload pivot, I then first edited it to "90 degrees right" ready for blatchat 90 degrees left, so it then did not pivot. So I edited it back to "normal" way up and this time BC did not interfere.

Certain things I will accept with an electric motor Derek.....a company car for the tax benefit, the electric motor in my coffee machine that grinds the beans, the one that is in a Maccie P1 or 918 Porker or similar, the one in the hoover (cleanliness and godliness and all that), the toothbrush one. However, and no matter even if it was faster or better, never one in a 7! The heart of a 7 is surely the mechanical bashing together of fuel and air and sparks to make noise and speed and smells and sensation! And perhaps, as this thread is indicating, me and electrickery, aren't working out to well at the moment!