Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.8 K series

p.mole1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Gemzoe. Turns out I had got the exhaust timing a bit out I had 80 thou inlet and 78 thou exhaust. We did some power runs first to get a datum then did a few cam swings. 60 thou inlet and 50 thou exhaust and surprisingly not much difference in the power outputs not worth messing around further and the timing was put back close to DVA's recommended settings.

Next we tried removing the airbox, again no real difference, then tried the 50 mm air horns again small gains in the upper range but losses lower down so it was back on with the 90 mm air horns. It was a very informative experience and I now know that I have not made any major errors with my timing. 

So I ended up with 128.2 bhp at the wheels with transmission looses at around 24/25 bhp that equates to around 153 bhp which is not too bad. We compared it to a standard 1.8 SS run on the same dyno with the same parameters and I'm up around 20 bhp everywhere so that would be in ball park area if you assumed a standard SS made 140 bhp . It's not the numbers that matter but the increase and I'm convinced that numbers talk and a lot of operators give people what they want too see.

I can highly recommend Gemzoe it was a highly enligthtening experience and I now know the timing is fine