Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Helmet and headrests

sjl1

Have fitted aeroscreen and finding wearing a helmet difficult with leather seats headrest. I used to be able to reverse headrest but new track day roll bar prevents this (bar tilts forward and is too close to the head rest now)

Have read that spacers under front of seat rails can tilt seat back and make room but questions

how do you access bolt capheads to undo bolts?

i have lowered floors, what to do with seat rail release lever when tilting seat rails pushes it up against the floor brace? Looks like this will stop me being able to tilt seat back

Am loathe to use helmet without headrest since very close to roll bar and dangerous, could i use a head restraint pad instead?

thanks

simon

... how do you access bolt capheads to undo bolts?

Mine are ordinary hex heads rather than socketed. 

Solutions include:

1. Wedging the head against the rail with a straight screwdriver
  2. Welding the bolts in (once you've got access)
  3. Cutting a slot in the far end of the bolt and holding it still with a screwdriver while you run the nut down (or up).

Jonathan

The cap heads at the rear are a pain.  You'll need to remove the seat cushions, headrests, and slide the seats as far forward as possible to get visual access.  I use a ball end allen key with a socket drive and a couple of interconnected ratchet to socket extension bars.  The general idea is to slide the ball end allen key down behind the seat backs with the extension bars fitted and engage the cap head bolt. The extension bar length selection will give room above the seat back to get a ratchet working. An extra pair of hands is useful to hold the bolts on the underside of the floor pan whilst you ratchet from above. For the allen key the cap head is an M8.

Thanks Jim, will give that a go, do you know whether if i add spacers under the front of the rails will the adjust lever get trapped under the cross rail?

Rob, also thanks, will try this idea if tilting the seat doesn't work, did you use the simple small square head restraint and did you add plywood/foam to increase its area? 

An afterthought.......  Have you tried removing the leather headrest cover and seeing if the inner foam can be adapted for your requirements.  Whilst only anoraks are likely to be aware of this, there is a zip around the rear perimeter of each head rest which gives you access.

Hmm, that is a seriously good idea, like your thinking

Am going to start by trying to tilt seats back, then may look at the steel head restrainer square and pad it but carving some foam out if the headrest is a good idea.

Currently using a helmet with leather seat and headrest is untenable, must be a standard answer to this one?

You are absolutely correct to want some padding between the bar and your helmet.

When I went to order my kit, I noticed a car in the showroom that had a steel plate attached to the roll bar tight up behind the Tillet headrest. I questioned this, because in effect any driver would be head butting a steel plate in an accident. I was told they set them up so the headrest wouldn't snap.

If a tall driver in an S3 fits the latest track day roll bar, their head will end up dangerously close to the steel tubes due to the forward tilt. I ended up ordering the standard bar for this reason, but cannot enter club track days for "safety reasons" .

The seat bolt issue is a major pain. Initially, I cured it by welding 2inch bars onto the bolt heads so they cannot rotate in the runners. Currently, I have home made alloy runners with captive nuts, so I can just insert the bolts from under the floor.

Thanks, i would prefer to stick with the leather padded headrest for this reason, i will try tilting the seat rails back tomorrow and see how i get on, failing that might have a look at the foam inside and reducing it somewhat. Its amazing how much time and effort is required getting this car ready for the track what with roll bar, aeroscreen, mirrors, etc

Took a look last night and delighted to discover leather seats bolt to seat rails and very easy to add spacers. Also that leather headrest is easily dismantled and a slice of foam could easily be removed, think i will try spacers first