Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle Response - Duratec

O.G.

I have a problem with my 360R Duratec (180 hp) when opening the throttle. There is a short lag before the power comes in. 

For those who remember carburetors, it would be like there is a problem with the accelerator pump. This happens from idle and during normal driving. Sometimes it is accompanied by a misfire or pop sound from the exhaust.

Anybody, any ideas? If I require professional help, any suggestions? I live in the Heathrow area. 

I have a 360R and its exactly the same.   The reason appears to be the reliance on Manifold Air Pressure, over Throttle Position for the fueling at idle.    I have made slight improvements on mine, switched to the latest design plastic intake, replaced the rubber blanking bungs to much firmer silicon items, and got the throttle butterfly fully closed at idle (there is a small bypass that allows the car idle smoothly).    But its not perfect, say its was 70% after Post Build Check, its now 90%.    The only way to cure it is to get the map changed to use Throttle Position over MAP, which can be done by Track and Road, but this makes the map specific to the TPS fitted, because the 360R uses a TPS that has no adjustment, hence the reason the original tune is used by Caterham.  

Hi O.G.

I've driven two Supersport Rs with exactly the same symptoms. The first one we converted to our F225 spec (225 bhp / 170lbs ft of torque), the second one, we fitted a new programmable MBE ECU and remapped it.  This transformed the throttle response and overall drivability of the car.  Power also went from 174 bhp upto 188 bhp.  Customer very happy with the result. 

We've also now got an ultralight flywheel and clutch option for the Duratecs which should help promote throttle response even more.

Regards

SKC

Thanks to all of you. I have it booked into PT Sports Maidenhead. Looks like it's a remap even though that makes it non standard. 

This car came as standard with a lightweight flywheel but I think the real problem is carburetion. It happens at tick over or almost any part of the rev range.

I will let you know the result.

O.G.