Click here if you are having website access problems ×

homemade gearchange light

Chris W

The gearchange light in the tacho on my 1.8K 140hp is redundant as it is not connected into the ECU (or so I understand) on this engine. There is a limiter at a nadges under 7,000 rpm with max hp at 6750 rpm according to the handbook.

I have designed, made and tested a gearchange light circuit for this engine. It costs only a few squiddly diddlys and works bang on. However I would like to utilise the actual gearchange LED in the tacho as the indicator for the system, but don't know which wires are connected to it at the back of the tacho. I can't get inside the tacho to find out and it's not clear from the ECU3 wiring diagram. I think the blue/black is possibly one of them. Before I blow anything up, does anyone happen to know? I am picking up the engine revs (double revs actually due to wasted spark) on the black/white wire.

If anyone wants the circuit I would be happy to post it. One could stack a number of these (they are really inexpensive) to provide a series of progressive lights. I have incorporated adjustment to enable setting the light to any rpm value more or less. For the electronically minded it is based around the LM2917 chip.

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Sounds interesting Chris *thumbup*

I was thinking of making my own sequential change light 'thingy' and found the 'gizmo' at Maplin, but chickened out when it became obvious that I would need to know what I was doing - my "Bigger 'ammer" approach doesn't work with 'wiggly amps'.

I was looking into the possibility of either fitting the lights into the pad on the steering wheel or maybe mounting them on top of the scuttle to reflect off the inside of the windscreen a-la HUD 😬

If you could make a sequential change light set-up, I'd be more than interested in buying one. 100 squid for the Omex sequential must be daylight robbery when you consider the bits and pieces are so cheep to buy.

Cheers,

Tony

STILL waiting for my BRG SV kit. 😬 ONLY five weeks to go now - nearly there *thumbup*