Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Secondary Spring

crispinjscott63

After a eight year gap, i'm in the process of getting organised to have another go in the Speed Championship ! I've just bought a 2002 1.6L / 120 BHP Roadsport with a Rover engine. When i last did the Championship is 1997 Classic SE, at the very last minute ( day of my first event!) i had to have fitted a secondary spring. Does anyone know if i will have to do the same with this car ? If so it would be good to get crossed off the list a bit earlier. Many thanks.

Basically anything with seperate throttles where the cable acts on one throttle and the others are driven by a linkage.

So if you are on Carb's the Throttle cable drives the left hand carb, with it's own throttle return spring, the right hand carb relies on the linkage between the two. If the linkage fails the second carb can stay open, so a second spring is fitted onto the second carb to ensure that it will close.

The requirement for additional springs often arises when the spring has been hidden inside the component by the manufacturer, for example some sidedraught Webers. A scrutineer can’t check whether the spring is intact or missing and will require an additional, visible spring.