Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Recommendations for Paint & Corrosion Touch Up Work - Midlands

revilla

I have some paint lifted and corrosion under the edges where the side skin is riveted to the chassis along the driver's side. The bodywork is generally in good condition other than for this one area. 

I'd like to prevent it getting worse quickly. I was thinking about options for rubbing it down and repainting, overpainting with Hammerite, things I could do myself over the winter but then I decided I'm not particularly good with bodywork and I'd rather take it to somebody who could sort it out properly and tidy up a few other little paint issues at the same time. 

Any recommendations, preferably (but not necessarily) in the East Midlands area? 

Thanks, 

Andrew

IMG_20180119_120528.jpg.cd9bdc34a7df8863734dc7c92c1f4c38.jpg

CJ Tallis in hinckley

He used to spray all the sevens for classic carriage.

If they are well hidden I’d have a go yourself - I used to do lots of spraying on my early cars! Need to use etch primer on the ally - upol make an aerosol version.

Happy to talk you through my hints and tips.

Ian

The area in your photo looks very much like it can be repaired without being visible from outside the car. You can test the visual limits for yourself quite easily before you decide which way to go. 

From your photo it looks (and it's probably my cr*p eyesight), like the issue may have origins in poor paint preparation in the past.  It looks to me like driver side chassis longitudinal is not coated in original black powdercoat, and the coating of that longitudinal is lifting at the same points (or are these pieces of masking tape on the longitudinal vertical face?). Might be worth clarifying this so that others can give you their steer on best repair process.

@Ian,

Thanks for that. I'll check them out.

@Jim,

Yes you're right. I think the chassis member is the original powder coat, but it is damaged in similar areas and needs something doing about it.

It does look as though it wasn't prepared well originally, and I think it has been bodged up at least once already.Some of the paint right along the edge of the panel even looks like it has been brushed on and with a bright light on it I'm not even sure it's a 100% colour match.

Given all of that, I think I'd prefer to take it to somebody who knows what they are doing and can make an assessment of what needs to effect the best repair.