Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BBS Wheels

Oysterman

So, have been looking into buying a new set of wheels for the chariot and have noticed  Westermann MOG Racing in Germany offer a set of BBS 13” split rim  which look absolutely amazing but the price is 3500 Euro !  Why 3 times the price of a regular set ? I know they are forged alloy centres but wow. Any advise from owners out there.

Gav.

• Area Representative

Don't forget that the design of MB Mag8 centres was revised following early failures, and later centres have thicker spokes.

MB will also supply aluminium cetres (I've got a pair). They're heavier, but are potentially tougher than the magnesium ones (less likely to crack).

Yes I don't think there have been any actual failures in any MB wheels made over the past few years.   These days they are made to take standard wheel nuts too - not the sleeved horrors of old -  which is a blessing.  A couple of years ago I think I paid £1300 for a set of four, which Mike made up to my precise ET requirements.  By my standards this was an extravagant purchase, but they are objects of great beauty!

Yes I was concerned about clearance around the rear roll bar and also on the inner side of the front wingstays, so just asked Mike to vary his standard ET by a few mm front and rear - from memory, to about ET15, meaning that the wheels protrude a little more all round than his normal spec, but giving me extra clearance on the inside.    I can look up the exact numbers if you want.   Mike is a top man.  Delivery times and communications aren't always perfect, but the wheels really are the business..

• Area Representative

The "normal" MB Mag8 sizes are 6.5" front and 8.5" rear.

The 6.5" are made up with a 5" inner rim and a 1.5" outer, giving an offset of ET19.

The 8.5" are made up with a 6" inner and a 2.5" outer, also giving an offset of ET19.

• Area Representative

so with those sizes and offset in mind do you think there would be any issue’s fitting these to an R500D?

the only issue that may arise with 6.5" and 8.5" MB's may be that, depending on the rear ARB layout. But, if you currently have 8's on the back, then you should not have a problem.