Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Major Coolant leak.

Keechy

Found a small puddle of coolant liquid under my 420R today prior to going out for a short drive.  On further inspection I found a slight leak on the hose from the bottom of the header tank so tightened up the jubilee clip.  I then started the car and took it up to 90 degree as I normally do to check the oil,  oil level fine so left the car for about 10 minutes, (car not running) when I returned there was a huge puddle about 2 foot round under the car, obviously shot out under pressure from somewhere but there was coolant everywhere so was unable to find where it came from.  There is some form of valve in the coolant tank cap that must serve some form of purpose but not sure what.  Any ideas?  Faulty cap maybe???????

1. No problems with temperature before this?
  2. No other work on it recently?
  3. It might be worth starting with where you had to tighten the clip. Remove that hose and have a good look at it on the bench?
  4. Then clean everything thoroughly to make it easier to find the leak if it's somewhere else. 
  5. With that degree of leakage I wouldn't waste money on testing with coolant other than water until you've found out where it is. Except for protection against freezing.

Jonathan

PS: it might be worth changing the Subject line to attract a bit more attention.

I only put a small amount in the header tank just by removing the header tank cap as described in the manual, wasn't aware I had to bleed anything.  No temperature problems before this.  Parked the car after a ride out about a month ago then was going to pop out again today.  Is there not something in the coolant system that vents when the water gets so hot.  The fan cuts in perfectly when it should to drop the temperature.

Hi John, sounds very much like you had the same problem, I think I will order a new cap and try that.  Bit of a worrying problem when your not sure if it works until you have tried it.  Extreme heat and pressure always a worry somethings going to give if not working correctly.