Click here if you are having website access problems ×

UK towing rules

Doctor

Hello there,

I'm slowly contemplating joining the towing your seven community. A few questions:

I've checked the GOV.UK rules in terms of how heavy combination I can tow, it just does not say if I need B+E combination licence.

single axle/double axle

what companies making trailers to consider

I drive a CSR - widest points are the hips - rear tyres. No idea about the length.

I hold EU licence issued in Czech Republic (group B 1996, group A for big bikes with no limitations 2010).

I wouldn't contemplate a single axle trailer having had a tyre go at speed on the A3 on a twin.  My Brian James Minnow trailer has served me well for nearly 20 years and I can't fault it.  You will of course need one that will take the wider CSR as I'm reasonably certain that the Minnow will only take the narrower S3.

Your only other decision is whether to get a covered trailer with lift up lid (very nice but pricey).  Even if you opt for an open trailer, get one with a floor deck so that most of the road muck is kept off the underside of the car,

And whatever you do, make sure you can securely lock it to your car tow hitch when parked up, even if only for a short stop, and securely clamp the rear axle wheels when it's left anywhere, even (or perhaps especially) when it's in your driveway at home.  They do get nicked, with or without the seven aboard.  Hitch locks/lockable hitch covers are useless when not attached to the towing car as the bad guys will simply attach a chain and tow/drag the trailer to somewhere they can cut the hitch lock off or drill out the lock.

Paul

Towing weight is related to the kerb weight and is set by the vehicle manufacturer.  The data for most vehicles can be found here.  You also need to consider what weights of rig your driving licence allows you to drive.  This will depend on when you passed your test and the permitted classes on your licence.  If your licence was issued after 1st Jan 1997 you may need to pass an additional  test, here.

There was a thread on blatchat a few years ago on this topic which you should be able to find by searching the archives.  Not sure if this is the best one but some good info..  The Caravan Club website also carries a lot of this data.

Paul

On a B licence you are allowed a tow car/trailer combined gross weight of 3500kg. If you have an E category as well ( which was given to drivers passing their tests before 1997 ) you can go large. It is important to remember that it is the manufacturers gross figures that count.

This means that a post 97 driver with a Minno grossing 1400 kg would be able to tow it with a gross vehicle weight of 2100 kg or less, assuming that vehicle has a towing capacity of 1400kg!

If you need a wider trailer with a higher gross rating, and this would put you slightly over the 3500 limit, it might be possible to ask the manufacturer to de-rate it, although this might then limit it's  future use.

If you definitely need to go over 3500, think 4 x 4 towing decent size trailer, you will need to take trailer test, E.

A B licence will also allow you a gross combined of 4250kg, but only if the trailer grosses 750kg or less, so can be discounted for 7 towing purposes.

Your licence will say what categories you have, and all the weights will be on trailer plate and vehicle plate/handbook.

Note that the recommendation is not to go more than 85% of the max rated vehicle towing weight.

I believe that it's also true to say that it's an offence to tow an unloaded/lightly loaded trailer that can be loaded in excess of your licence class, even if in its unloaded state it's lighter than your limit.

Also, for 'older' drivers with pre 97 licences, if you still have your old green paper licence and are coming up to applying for your new licence at 70, you will lose many of your previous vehicle classes, including some of the heavier classifications.  To avoid this, apply for and obtain a new photo licence now, before reapplying again at 70 so that most classes will be carried forward after your 70th birthday.  Otherwise you'll have to take a test or be restricted as though you passed your test after 1st Jan '97.  If you want to drive a 7.5 tonne horse box you still need to reapply and pass a medical.

Paul