Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replaced Sump - Damage was worse than thought

nickh7

Stripped the old sump down todays and the damage was worse than I thought

Cracked block , cracked baffle plate .

I've put it all back together after cleaning everything. Very little metal on the sump and apollo magnets . Oil pick up pipe had a bit of crud on it but nothing much .

Oil pressure is spot on , no leaks after two runs. Looks like I got away with it !

New job is so long rear springs so I can get increased ride at the rear and raise the front to maintain the rake

BlockCrack1_0.jpg.a47ceddc472a5c15476a59e03fe71afc.jpg

SumpInternal.jpg.54160de10c2fab85b6c5a8033626e1ab.jpgBaffle1_0.jpg.ad7a5fde00c32587d4a58fa138ff915d.jpgSump1comp.jpg.56b82b76e55a4e1e26becf9b151d1591.jpg

Not seen one that bad without it moving the engine/gearbox in the car, presumably the baffle plate was damaged by the pickup pipe being thrust upwards, how have you fixed the cracked block... by replacing it or welding or metal glue? Having an Apollo seems to have saved the day.

Engine build friend confirmed that its  nothing to worry  about , the location wasn't critical. I ve done two runs in it and now sign of leaks so going to run it till i rebuild it.

I've another engine (1800) to build to go in it but I like the fact its a 1600 and I've done every mile in it . 

Nick I was very tempted but having just spent that on new bits for the sump and oil etc I am going to have to pass.